United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 32s
Overall Rank = 172/284
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/16
Pre-race routine:

Got up fairly early nad got my car packed. I only live 20 minutes from the site, so I got there around 5:45. It was pretty dark out since there weren't any street lights or parking area lights on. the volunteers (all highschool kids) had flashlights to help people find their transition racks. I found mine and was setting up when volunteer came barreling over to stick his flashlight down in my area to I think help me, but instead, he wasn't paying attention that I was in the proces of standing up ,and our heads butter...They butted so hard you could here it a few racks away. My head started pounding right in my temple 9its still tender and can't be touched even today)
Event warmup:

Any way..I calmed down and got my things in place and took a quick jog around. I had a large group of fellow gold coast triathlete club members doing this race, so a few of us went down to the water finsih line to check out the exit situation. Glad I did this since it was pretty tricky (sandbar was a good 200 feet from the shore...(people ended up making the mistake of standing up too soon and not swimming past it)
Swim
  • 10m 34s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

The wave was all women in the race, so it was pretty crowded. Up until a bit past the bouy it was like a washing machine. I tried my best to ignore all teh kicking and arms flayling (sp?) and blocked it all out and concentrated on ym storke. I passed many people of all the women I was 24/90..not bad!...I was pretty pleased with my swim
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I was glad I changed my system of socks/shoes. So for the bike I don't wear socks, jsut threw my shoes on, then grabed my helmet which flew on the ground and then grabbed my garmin and shoved it in my pcoket (still need ot get a clip on for the bike) and ran out..my rack wwas the first rack at the bike and run exit..way cool!

Put helemt on first and the shoes..maybe would have been a bit faster sicne I could do both at once?
Bike
  • 40m 24s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed really hard and felt really the strongest I have felt during a race! SO ,I think my training is paying off. :)

train more
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

The dismount line came really fast and I had only taken 1 foot out of my shoe..So I had to unclip my other shoe and run with a barefoot and a shoe to my tranistion area ..Ha! When I got to my rack, someone put their bike in my space (was my friends bike I found out later) So, I had to change my rack space and then get my shoes on and grabbed my race belt and I was off. With eveytngin that happened, I really thouht my tiem was great

get both feet out of the shoes before dismoutn line
Run
  • 29m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I hada tough time at the beginning getting my heart rate down so when I got to the bridge I walked for a few momotns. As I did, some other girl came up behind me and handed me my Garmin which had fallen out of my pocket without me noticing! Thanks for good people! After that I had a decent run..Only stopped at the water stations nad then quickly drank one and put one on my head and then ran more.

train more on hills
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and found my friends and cheered others on. We then went ot breakfast :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really should work on my diet/nutrtion and drop 10 pounds..I am sure it would help immensly!

Event comments:

I do like this race since it's close to home and a nice closed course..but the volunteers could care less about helping...

Last updated: 2008-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:34 | 600 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/16
Overall: 0/284
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out to bouy hang a right and straight almsst to the pier and then back in to shore...a run up the beach and up stairs to transition
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:24 | 11 miles | 16.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/16
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out of transition and over lake owrth bridge, turn north on Federal highway, go few miles, turnaround and head south on Federal few miles,..loop is done twice. I am glad i knew the course since a few peopel missed the turnaround and added a couple miles to their race..whoops! my computer say's it was 13.1 miles..I knew it the course was measure wrong (that would put me at a 19.45 avg!)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 72
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:55 | 03.1 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/16
Course: Up and over the bridge, swing under it and run along the water and then thruogh a neighborhood for a momment and back by the water and back ovr the bridge...up and around the pool and straight into the finish line
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: Tropical Triathlon

2008-09-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1659939

User image

Elite
South Florida
Subject: RE: Tropical Triathlon
Nice race!  You were so fast on the run!  If I can get over me fear of the ocean maybe I'll do this with you next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tropical Triathlon Rss Feed