World Triathlon Corporation
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 16m
Overall Rank = 730/1975
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 156/342
Pre-race routine:

Didn't have one this year. Scrambled everything the last second and even forgot to put a couple things in my T1 bag; which WTC doesn't allow you to access race morning (unlike NAS, who does).

Woke up at 3:30am and drank 2 ensure bottles, 1 banana, and a cliff bar. was super hungry by 5:30am (NOTE: need to eat more at Ironman Wisconsin next weekend)
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 17m 21s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swam at 50% effort and even did some backstroke for about 30% of the swim just to make sure I took it easy and balanced out the effort in my shoulders to save energy for IMWI next weekend. Ended up swimming WAY off course due to the fact that it's a "little" difficult to sight in open water doing the backstroke...oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 11m 34s
Comments:

took my sweet ol' time in T1 and relaxed a bit and also made a pit stop in the porto-potty. was in NO rush.

Nothing
Bike
  • 6h 11m 35s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Some rookie yelled out during the first 12 miles of the bike to cyclists passing him "Hey slow down you guys, this is a 112 mile bike." I was so flabbergasted and pissed off at the audacity of this guy that I retorted as loud as I could

"Holy #^@ are you serious? I didn't know this was 112 miles. Why didn't anyone tell me this was 112 miles. Thank you so much for letting us know." (that guy was unbelievable)

Anyway, had some minor gastro issues on the bike for about 3 hours starting around mile 30. Tried to amp up my calories to 490ish/hour the first couple hours, but paid for that "experiment" and had to lower my HR from my target HR of 135 down to about 115 for 3 hours or so until my stomach settled down. Finally figured out what I was doing wrong with my nutrition, corrected the problem, stomach issues went away, and I hammered it all the way home well into my zone 2 HR of 145bpm.

First race I did where I peed on the bike. Figured out the best way to do it (downhill with wind blowing) but didn't really like it because I had to go in large quantity about 5 different times so my feet were wet the entire bike and looked like prunes in T2.

Figure out my gastro issues a little quicker so I wouldn't loose so much time.
Transition 2
  • 10m 47s
Comments:

Again, took my time. Since my feet were sitting in water/urine for a good 4 hours, they were prunes. So I had to put on a thick layer of vasaline on them and dry socks so I wouldn't get blisters in the marathon.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 24m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah yes, the wonderful marathon. I could NOT stop thinking about IMWI next week the entire race so the first 8 miles of the run I instilled a run/walk effort even though I felt great. From miles 8-18 I just focused on my nutrition plan; which was 1 race cap supreme, 1 mito cap, and 1 endurolyte at the top of the hour, 1 hammer gel at the top of the hour, then whatever I felt like in between; which happened to be pretzels and oranges.

Stopped for about 5-7 min around mile 18 to help a lady that looked pretty bad as she gazed up at me and asked me to help her. So I stopped, assessed her the best I could (she was cold and nauseous but not dizzy yet), sat her down and talked her off the ledge. She kept saying she was on track to break 12 hrs with only 7 miles to go and that she was really pissed off about it. I told her it was ok and only a race and not her life. I pointed to a fellow racer passing by to get the cop at the next intersection and have him come back here with his radio. Waited with her until the cop came and then went on my merry way.

Rest of the marathon was a little strange as my RPE and my mental exertion were not in sync. My mental exertion was about 30%-40% effort (i.e. I didn't have to dig down deep at all) but my legs/muscles just weren't responding. Usually it's the opposite for me during an IM. Kinda curious.

Maybe amp up the effort to 50% but I was honestly scared of the Ironman I had to do in a week and felt that I needed to REALLY take this marathon leg easy and not trash my legs in this first race.
Post race
Warm down:

10 min post-race massage, the athlete food. then ice bath in hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, finished right about where I predicted I would (13ish). Probably could have gone sub 13 but just couldn't stop thinking about IMWI...that idea just kept freaking me out during this race and really made me take it easy the entire time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-11-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:21 | 4224 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 113/342
Overall: 592/1975
Performance: Below average
Suit: no wetsuit. swam in Oomph shorts only
Course: time trial start, got into water around 7:25am.
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:11:35 | 112 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 631/342
Overall: 133/1975
Wind: Some
Course: out and back portion with a couple loops.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 10:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:24:43 | 26.2 miles | 12m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 730/342
Overall: 156/1975
Course: 2 loops out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-10 5:35 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2008-09-15 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1665593

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
lol obviously this guy had to be joking.  No one doing an ironman is that stupid....Great race.
2008-09-18 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1675006

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

ballyard7 - 2008-09-15 12:59 PM lol obviously this guy had to be joking.  No one doing an ironman is that stupid....Great race.

I don't know, the guy sounded pretty pissed off and the other guys around us all look at each other before I said anything as if to say to each other "did i hear what i think i just heard"

it was a classic moment in my triathlon career that i will never forget.  i'm just mad i didn't see who said it...i'd never let him live it down. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed