General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
South Berwick, Maine
United States
Seacoast Riptide Triathlon Team
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 03m 30s
Overall Rank = 364/373
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 43/44
Pre-race routine:

slept at the ILs on Friday night. dog annoyed the crap out of me, but got a reasonable night's sleep. got up at 4:30, car was already packed so just had to throw on racewear, put in contacts, and head out.

quick stop for dunk's - just a plain bagel naked for me please. got water and gatorade for the bike bottles. then off to Maine. sky was pretty. traffic was light.

get to south berwick, quick stop for dunk's (aka the free restroom of the northeast).

get to the race site. I have never seen so many volunteers directing cars. it was smooth and well organized - theme for the day.

start unloading the truck. what's dripping on me? little rainy sprinkles. crap. go to registration, pick up packets, goodie bags, chips. everything is organized and quick. go to transition - racks are labeled with numbers, volunteers everywhere.

right about the time I get my bike on the rack, it changes from "sprinkles" to "downpour". lovely. so I throw garbage bags over my stuff, and AdCo and I go to hang out in the car for a while, as we're still an hour and change from race start.

head back to the car, hang out, still raining. boo hiss. head back to transition, set up the rain transition (stuff goes on top of T bag, under garbage bag. keeps it mostly dry.) shove a set of socks into my bike shoes and my run shoes. I am apparently psychic, as I'll need the second socks later.

Event warmup:

wander down (and down it is... a BIG hill) to the water, run into a guy we know. sucker him into holding my shot bloks while I swim. rain seems to be letting up.

listen to clear and audible pre-race instructions. stretch. say bye to AdCo, as he's a couple waves ahead of me.

Swim
  • 13m 55s
  • 685 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

beach start. went out early and hard and got dropped, but practiced swimming in a big kicking pack for a little while (per plan). midway out to the first buoy saw the guy I knew on his kayak and said hi. tried to swim straight, didn't (this is my big OWS problem, I think). pushed nicely hard on the swim. happy with my effort, but not with my navigation.

What would you do differently?:

swim straight. new theme. :(
Transition 1
  • 05m 4s
Comments:

the RDs got a sponsored deal with Scion for a hill challenge - fastest up the giant hill from the water to transition won something. it was NOT me. I ran until the hill got steep, then I walked. It was so steep that the back of my legs were overstretched and cramping. got to the top, did my thing, out on the bike.

Bike
  • 54m 40s
  • 14.25 miles
  • 15.64 mile/hr
Comments:

had heard this was hilly. hadn't driven the course first, so I just stayed conservative (also, it rained off and on. wanted to keep myself ON the bike). feet were so wet I was surprised there weren't fish in my shoes. didn't have as much power as I normally do, legs were tired to start. really fun rolling course. would have been more fun if it was dry and I knew the course. but there were a billion volunteers, actually AHEAD of where you had to slow down so you could hear what they were saying and then slow down, instead of frantic braking when you were on top of them. what a concept. legs started cramping on the biggest hill.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

legs were crampy, so I took a little extra time and dragged out the Stick. hugely helpful.

Run
  • 46m 56s
  • 3 miles
  • 15m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

also known as the run that wasn't. my pre-race goal for this race was really to keep the effort dialed back on the swim and bike, and really focus on the run (my weakness). I had a really great run as part of a gym short tri on Thursday and I really wanted to run well.

the good: stopped at the portapotty (funny moment: volunteer is yelling left, left, left at me. I yell, pee, pee, pee at him. cracked us both up) and headed out. First half mile, felt (relatively) great. was running strong, everything felt good, pace was great. Noticed about the half mile mark that my heart rate was a little too high, so I slowed down a smidge.

the bad: Heart rate did not drop. Felt a tightness/pain in my chest, so I decided I should not be an idiot and walk for a few. boom! instant asthma attack. thank g*d I race with my inhaler in my trishorts. otherwise I would have ended up in the hospital. it took a couple tries to get albuterol into my lungs, then I just kind of slogged along sobbing until I could breathe. a couple of runners actually noticed that I was in trouble and asked if I needed help... very nice.

so I walked for a while until I could breath without any hitching. then I decided I should be cautious - I walked a little faster to see how my lungs would do, but every time I sped up at all I started wheezing.

so I walked. 2 and change miles. slowly. mile 2 was 17 minutes long. I was bored, and the bugs were biting, and people kept encouraging me as they went by (one lady said, ok, at the top of this hill you're running again. I said, yeah, asthma, but thanks). I spent half of the time feeling completely miserably sorry for myself. I got bug spray from volunteers at the next big intersection which helped a little.

then I got passed by a spectator in jeans and workboots, running with a friend. that hurt.

got back to the finish, which loops around transition. walked every step. as I passed the guy with the mike announcing finishers, he (quietly) said, you should at least run over the line. yeah, thanks buddy, can't. am wheezing just walking.
What would you do differently?:

um, not much I could do. not get brochitis 12 years ago?
Post race
Warm down:

crossed the line, handed in my chip, burst into tears on AdCo's shoulder. didn't even hang out for the post race stuff as I felt like crap.

I'm still pissed, although there was exactly nothing I could have done differently aside of not racing. it was steamy and humid and there was a bit of mold/mildew in the air - my biggest asthma triggers.

so I guess I had 2/3rds of a great race, and then a long walk. but I'll do the race again, this was an amazingly well run race and a fun course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

asthma attack

Last updated: 2008-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:55 | 685 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/44
Overall: 2057/373
Performance:
Suit:
Course: counterclockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:04
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:40 | 14.25 miles | 15.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/44
Overall: 301/373
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:56 | 03 miles | 15m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/44
Overall: 372/373
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-14 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Sprint

2008-09-14 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1673160

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Sprint

You finished..and 2/3rd were good..that rocks!

Breathing is important so slowing down and walking was smart. I've been there too with Asthma incident in my IM.

Rock on!

2008-09-14 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1673160

User image

Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Sprint
Sorry about the asthma. I had that knock me out of race a few years ago. Sucks.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Sprint Rss Feed