General Discussion Race Reports! » Olathe Medical Center Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Olathe Medical Center Women's Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Olathe, Kansass, Kansas
United States
Johnson County Park & Recreation District
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 200/249
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Had plans to get to the venue, set up transition, get chip and marked, and then do a little warming up, listening to my ipod....nothing happened right. We got on the rode late and then drove in a torrential rainstorm for an hour. Was this thing gonna even happen? When we got there I spent more time helping others get ready than myself and completely trashed my own plans. I didn't get a chance to warm up or swim at all and I totally forgot to consume my Hammer Gel or drink water. Didn't use the porta potty either.
Event warmup:

Swam about 100 yards and that was it! Didn't have time to run at all. Didn't get bike prepared, but found out they weren't doing the bike portion due to the heavy rain so that was okay
Swim
  • 15m 5s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did the first half with no problem at all and felt like I was going to be awesome in this swim. Then all of a sudden it seems like I just tanked. Couldn't catch a good enough breath, felt tired, kind of panicky. Stopped at a lifeguard dude and had a brief conversation with him as I held onto his floating device. Went another 200 or so and after doing the back stroke and some breaststroke, had to stop at the next lifeguard dude. Both of them were great. The last one asked me if I wanted him to take me in. I said Absolutely not. I was gonna finish this thing! So I did
What would you do differently?:

Follow my own pre-race routine! Get my nutrition and WARM UP!! I need to swim at least 400 yds to warm up and I know I would do better if I did.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10.6 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

No bike because they cancelled that portion due to rain
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Got wetsuit off fairly quickly. Then had trouble with socks and decided that since it was raining cats and dogs I would skip them and run without. Never had done that before....bad choice. Got blisters from it.

Gotten to the venue earlier and gotten a better spot to be closer to the run start.
Run
  • 29m 43s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The trail was covered in a lot of water, some of it running, for a good portion of the run. I really felt pretty good about the run. Until my left knee started hurting. I passed about 5 other gals. There was this last gal that we kept switching places and when we were about 50 yards from the finish I picked up my pace and then I heard footsteps beside me and thought wow, I'll run with her. She sounds fast. It was this lady!! Well, no way she was gonna beat me so I ran the fastest sprint at the end of a race that I've ever done. It was a blast AND I beat her. I was so pumped....until I felt like I was gonna puke and my knee was killing me!

Nutrition again...be more aware of that. Not mess around in transition so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little, but had to help a friend get all her stuff to the car and somebody wanted to take pictures and the rain and I had to finally go pee for crying out loud...never really did any and I should have. I regret that the most. I'm suffering for it now.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I tanked on the swim. Even though at the pool I swim twice the distance and feel great, because I didn't warm up and I didn't take care to do my nutrition, it hindered my performance. Plus, I need to make sure that when I am in a race that I do MY pre-race routine and not someone else's unless I have taken care of myself first.

Event comments:

The weather made this race different. If the rain wouldn't have cancelled the bike, it would have been a completely different event for me. I always feel better after I get off the bike because it's my favorite. It gets me pumped for the run. I felt kind of weirdly rushed the whole morning and it affected me. But, it is a great event. Very organized, great people, great gifts given away, the goody bag was INCREDIBLE! I will definitely do this race again next year. And when I bring four newbies with me next year, I will get there early enough that I'm all settled and ready to go so helping them won't take so much from my own race.

Last updated: 2008-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:05 | 547 yards | 02m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 201/249
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca full
Course: Out and back course in a triangle shape. The first leg to the first buoy seemed to be the longest.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10.6 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/249
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:43 | 02.6 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/249
Performance: Average
Course: Trail that was downhill going out and uphill a lot coming back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-14 10:10 PM

User image

Kansas
Subject: Olathe Medical Center Women's Triathlon

2008-09-23 10:58 PM
in reply to: #1673796

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Olathe Medical Center Women's Triathlon
Hey Big Mama!  you've had a battle with your races, eh?  here's to a better 2009!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Olathe Medical Center Women's Triathlon Rss Feed