The Courier Mail, Suncorp, USM Events,
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 48s
Overall Rank = 8705/26359
Age Group = 20-30yo Female
Age Group Rank = 610/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got dressed, lathered on sunscreen, fiddled with my HRM for a while before giving up on it. Had an apple for breakfast in the car.

Got to race start and just hung around...
Event warmup:

Just jogged on the spot and stretched. It was pretty COLD
Run
  • 1h 01m 48s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 11s  min/km
Comments:

A slow start, but the timing company were SMART! Your time DIDN'T start until you got over the mat. All that BEEEEEEEPING...

Ran through the toll gates and wondered where to put my money... ha ha ha

Up the bridge. It's a STEEP and steady incline. Usually on my way over the bridge in my old mazda, the CAR would have trouble... Well today I had no trouble. My only gripe would be to the walkers who started in our group... oi...

The view from the top was cool. One poor old guy had had a fall and police and ambos were attending. Saw a dad push a pram into the gutter! Uh-Oh!

The run down the bridge was good. For most of the race there was a LOT of dodging and weaving!

as we came off the exit, there was the 3km mark - and the queue for the loos was huge...

Tim went - I charged on to the 3km sign and the drinks station. We'd had an understandbly slow start. (see the split times) First drinks and I walked through them in the hope Tim'd catch me. Broke out a gu.

We caught up again and "weaved our way back through the crowd. The walkers were starting to thin out so all that were there were the joggers.

5km mark came up quicker than I'd expected - but we were making good time. 31mins was GOOD for me. More drinks - more gu.

After complaining of the cold at the start - it was nice to jog in the shade.

Before I knew it we'd made it to the 6km mark, then the 7km mark. We went under a tunnel and then hit the 8km mark! Pace picked up a little as there wasn't much dodging to do. Did grab another drink and finished that gu.

at 9km Tim and I picked up the pace again and with 200m to go we made a mad sprint for the line! :)

We'd done it!!! Our first 10km race! Now I can smash that "I'll never make the distance" wall outta my head for noosa!
What would you do differently?:

Pick the GREEN category and start towards the front. Avoid the "walkers"
Post race
Warm down:

Drinks, picked up T-shirt and walked all the way up to brunswick street to breakfast. Then walked back to the station, caught an UNDERCARRIAGED and OVERFULL train back to Murrarie to pick up the car. Stretched on the train.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The sheer number of people and the lack of confidence in myself. I COULD have gone faster. I felt GREAT at the finish. Not tired. Just hungry.

therefore I could've done more. :)

Event comments:

Lots of fun. Wouldn't mind doing it again. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:01:48 | 10 kms | 06m 11s  min/km
Age Group: 610/
Overall: 8705/26359
Performance: Good
first 3km: 19:24.88 Next 2km: 12:30.55 to 6km: 6:29:45 to 7km: 6:20.61 to 8km: 5:54.99 to 9km: 5:54.54 to 10km: 5:09:34
Course: Over the gateway bridge and onto kingsford smith drive at Hamilton. Past breakfast creek wharf to the RNA showgrounds.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-16 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: Bridge to Brisbane

2008-09-17 1:01 AM
in reply to: #1678106

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Bridge to Brisbane
Awesome race! Well done. Its a great feeling to run your first 10k, and prove to yourself that you CAN do it. Great time too - I wish I could run that fast Keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bridge to Brisbane Rss Feed