General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Racing Underground
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 21m 36s
Overall Rank = 297/329
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/24
Pre-race routine:

Becca came up the night before and we shared a bottle of wine with pasta and mahi mahi for dinner :) I love how I manage to get some alcohol in the night prior to almost every race I've done this year! That's what a year in Iraq with no alcohol will do to you.

Woke up at 5, ate a PB&J and a little bit of coffee. Left at 5:30 and made it to the reservoir a little after 6. Basically tried not to freak out while getting my stuff together. It was cold. Really cold.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike around the parking lot to make sure I was in the right gear.
Swim
  • 53m 3s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I didn't freak out during the swim like I did during the Loveland Oly a few months back, so that was good. Considering my time, I wonder why I even bother swimming in the pool! It seems as if all form and technique fly out the window and I just try to survive. At least I was moving. Towards the end though I was getting really cold and my arms were not moving as well.
What would you do differently?:

Um. Really work on swimming more so I'm more confident in the distance. There really is no reason why that distance should take me 50+ minutes!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I'm not sure what the time in T1 was b/c I forgot to put my timing chip back on after peeling off my wetsuit. Also, I couldn't decide whether to put on arm warmers or a LS shirt. I went ahead with the LS shirt.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I really held back on the bike knowing I had the 1/2 marathon to do. I felt good the entire time. Took in about 600 calories. Stopped behind a tree to go potty at about the 1/2 way point.
What would you do differently?:

I did not train much at all most of July and August. Excuses could include moving and starting a new job, but really, no excuse!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I did remember to put my timing chip back on during T2! No issues with T2; did hit the porta potty on the way out!
Run
  • 2h 36m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Becca ran the 1/2 with me and that saved me! I think I would have been in tears if she wasn't there chit chatting with me the entire way! I actually felt pretty good the entire run. I didn't push at all, just kept moving at a decent pace. We walked the uphills and through the water points. I took in about 400 calories the first 2/3 of the run. We cheered people along the course and I finished smiling!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit. Ate a little of the BBQ they had.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really didn't train from mid-July on... I was in Ohio for a few weeks, then came back to Colorado and moved and started working, so that limited my training time/energy.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed myself this race. I have the Best Boyfriend Ever cheering me on and congratulating me when I finished. The race was very organized and well run, volunteers were AWESOME! I definitely want to do this next year.

More pictures are here if you want to see :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/norinemali/HarvestMoonHalfIronman#52464...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:03 | 2112 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/329
Performance:
My HRM crapped out, so I have no idea what time/HR. *sigh* The water was really cold!
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 56 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Again, no idea. I had my Garmin going but it ran out of battery about 3:30 into it. I was almost finished at that point though.
Wind:
Course: I liked the course. Out and back for a short distance and then a big loop.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:36:02 | 13.1 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Performance:
No HRM and no Garmin. See above :)
Course: Out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-16 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon

2008-09-16 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1678468

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon
Great job out there in spite of not being able to train as much as you'd like over the summer!!  Great pics too
2008-09-17 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Nice job out there.  And welcome.
2008-09-17 8:24 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
I'm with you with taking in some alcohol the night before a race!  Sorry that life got in the way of your training the past few weeks...sometimes that happens.  Nice job getting out there and racing anyway!  Glad you had fun out there.
2008-09-17 12:24 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Sounds like you had a great time out there despite not being able to train.  It's great to hear that you kept the smile on your face throughout, that's the best way to race. Congrats on your finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Harvest Moon Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed