General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone train with shoulder issues? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-16 10:23 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Anyone train with shoulder issues?
Hi Everyone,
Not like I need ANOTHER issue to deal with but here is the deal:
Broke my collarbone in 2003 - non union but didn't bother me so dr. said not to mess with it. After doing a heavy shoulder workout a few months ago, I tweaked something and ever since then my shoulder has been bothering me more than usual. I have really gotten into swimming lately feel I am really making some progress. BUT, I am considering taking a few days off to see if my shoulder feels better. I also have been doing Bikram/Ashtanga yoga frequently and may give that up for a while due to the heavy shoulder involvement with certain moves.
Here is my question...does anyone continue to train/swim with issues within their shoulder? I hate to take a break but want to give it a chance to rest before I really irritate something. I try to swim with proper form, correct rotation and breathing so hopefully I am not aggrivating it more. I know everyone has aches and pains and just wanting to see what others do and how they cope. Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

2008-09-17 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1678816

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Anyone train with shoulder issues?
I don't currently have shoulder problems, but have had 3 shoulder surgeries. I worked with a swim coach to help make sure my stroke is OK and don't do anything that would cause any problems. Butterfly and backstroke are bad on 'em, but breast and free are great.
2008-09-18 1:22 AM

Hi there
Yup...got shoulder issues, too. No known injuries, just wear and tear from years of cycling and then carrying children around!
I did take time off just before Ironman Canada and then started back into the water for incremental periods just before the event. Had NO troubles during the race. But I felt the time off helped.
I notice the tribars make the shoulders worse. I also notice using the mouse on the computer stresses the shoulder, especially if I don't support the elbow on that side.
I do recall watching Ironman previously and seeing a competitor taken from the water with frozen shoulder...that is something to avoid at all costs.
Perhaps physio or massage therapy could help with this issue?
Of course, the icing and stretching/yoga(that is modified to accomodate tender shoulder!)should help to keep it loose...
But, yes, I find I have shoulder pain from "bursitis"(per doctor...but I just think it is the wear and tear of life!) is a daily thing.
Good luck and happy training
2008-09-26 1:05 PM

User image

Motor City USA
It really depends on the 'pain' and what is causing it. Some soreness is expected of course, but when stuff starts becoming an acute pain, it might be time to take a few days off and do some running.

If the problem persists it might be sorth a trip to the ortho to make sure you did not tear your rotator cuff - tht is a bad thing and takes alot of time and work to heal properly.

Hopefully you've just strained a muscle and need some time in the hot tub and on the massage table. Lay off a few days and see if it gets better.
2008-09-26 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
I swam with one arm and kicking drills for 6 weeks while my collarbone healed. I got a lot of funny looks but man that right side sure is strong now...
2008-09-26 4:43 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Anyone train with shoulder issues - UPDATE
So I was dealing with the shoulder pain...wasn't terrible, wasn't great. Getting worked on by my Chiropractor which made it feel a lot better. Still there though. Took last week off of swimming and yoga and then went to a Bikram Yoga class this past Sunday and told myself that I was going to just take it easy, no push up movements etc...and did fine. Came home, went to pull my shirt over my head and felt a POP in my shoulder. While this would normally be a bad thing...it actually felt wonderful and my shoulder has felt Soooooo much better. Still not perfect (never will) but the main achiness/pain is gone and I had an amazing swim this morning! Funny how things happen...but I am sure happy it did! Go figure!

2008-09-26 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor

Sorry to hear bout yur shoulder! Frown

I got knocked off my bike last Summer by a car trying to race me and tore my rotator cuff. Can't do anything about it - surgery isn't an option. I have just learned to put up with it. When something hurts I stop doing it for a day or two - ice it - and then get back to it. I continue to keep my shoulder muscles strong and flexible to prevent more injury but my shoulder still hurts every day.

I never thought that I would have to live with an injury - Up to the accident I had never even broken a bone - but now I just remind myself of all those awesome people out there that are pounding out the miles/yards despite the challenges that could slow them down.

2008-10-08 1:01 AM
in reply to: #1699800

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Anyone train with shoulder issues - UPDATE
I am not a doctor nor an expert, but it sounds like instability in the shoulder. If you are on a medical plan of some sort, you might consider talking to your doctor to see if he/she will refer you for physical therapy.
2008-10-20 4:49 AM

User image

Veteran

I am really battling with my shoulders (both, but right worse than left) at the moment.  I thought it was the swimming but now am not sure.  I have been the the Chiro and physio and they have given me stretches and exercises and seem to think that should sort it out.

The problem is that it just seems to be getting worse not better. Before I only felt it when swimming and now they are sore ALL the time.  I am beginning to think it is from cycling as I have taken a break from swimming and running for about 3 weeks.

Anyone else had shoulder issues from cycling (I am trying to rule out all possiblities). Maybe my bike is set up wrong?  Although I have done and IM on it previously and have not changed the set up.  I have increased my milage quite a bit lately though?

Any ideas would be great!

Edited by pamiejane 2008-10-20 4:51 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone train with shoulder issues? Rss Feed