General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Transition seat post adjuster help needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-18 9:00 PM

Regular
Cleveland, OH
Subject: Specialized Transition seat post adjuster help needed

I have a 2006 Specialized Transition Expert with a non-stock Specialized Alias 130 seat [see 3rd picture].  I need more forward adjustment from the seat: does anyone know of a way (aftermarket part perhaps) of getting more forward positioning out of the seat with a stock seat post?  The rotational axis of the seat clamp's rotating piece needs to be about 30 mm closer to the front of the bike [see 1st picture].  The existing axis is in yellow and the desired axis is in green.

I would like to experiment with the seat fore/aft position and place the seat even more forward than it is in the picture.  It is already as forward as possible with the seat rails and the clamping mechanism of the stock seat post.

I could design and fabricate my own adapter to do what I want but I would prefer to purchase something due to time constraints.  Does anyone know if the current generation Transition seat posts work with previous generation Transition frames [see 2nd picture].  The black/red post in the picture looks like it may offer the desired fore/aft positioning.

Edited by sorenson997 2008-09-18 9:07 PM

(seatpost.jpg)

(SpecTT7.jpg)

(seat01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
seatpost.jpg (71KB - 33 downloads)
SpecTT7.jpg (23KB - 31 downloads)
seat01.jpg (70KB - 28 downloads)

2008-09-19 6:30 AM
in reply to: #1683420

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Specialized Transition seat post adjuster help needed

Unless I am incorrect, the two posts are not interchangeable.

Also, the only way to physically change the range on the forward position would be to get a different saddle that allows you more range.  I would be very apprehensive about trying to fabricate something.

And finally.  If you need that much adjustment in your saddle position to get forward, then your frame top tube is too long and the bike is probably too big for the application you want to put it in.

2008-09-19 5:09 PM
in reply to: #1683420

User image

Master
sorenson997 - 2008-09-18 9:00 PM

I have a 2006 Specialized Transition Expert with a non-stock Specialized Alias 130 seat [see 3rd picture].  I need more forward adjustment from the seat: does anyone know of a way (aftermarket part perhaps) of getting more forward positioning out of the seat with a stock seat post?  The rotational axis of the seat clamp's rotating piece needs to be about 30 mm closer to the front of the bike [see 1st picture].  The existing axis is in yellow and the desired axis is in green.

I would like to experiment with the seat fore/aft position and place the seat even more forward than it is in the picture.  It is already as forward as possible with the seat rails and the clamping mechanism of the stock seat post.

I could design and fabricate my own adapter to do what I want but I would prefer to purchase something due to time constraints.  Does anyone know if the current generation Transition seat posts work with previous generation Transition frames [see 2nd picture].  The black/red post in the picture looks like it may offer the desired fore/aft positioning.

No they do not and the picture of the straight seat post... you only have the two positions available. It is shown with out the clamp.  (see picture)

I would be leery of anyone fabricating anything. You are not only putting yourself in danger but possibly others.

(34c7_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
34c7_1.jpg (7KB - 28 downloads)
2008-09-20 10:54 PM
in reply to: #1683699

Regular
Cleveland, OH
Daremo - 2008-09-19 7:30 AM

Unless I am incorrect, the two posts are not interchangeable.

Also, the only way to physically change the range on the forward position would be to get a different saddle that allows you more range.  I would be very apprehensive about trying to fabricate something.

And finally.  If you need that much adjustment in your saddle position to get forward, then your frame top tube is too long and the bike is probably too big for the application you want to put it in.

Thanks for the input.

My application would require saddle rails that extend behind the rear end of the saddle; I have never seen any like this but they do exist?  This is why I thought about fabricating a bracket or adapter.

I was thinking about an aluminum bracket/adapter that would bolt to the top of the stock seat post and then the stock saddle brackets would then attach to it.  Designing and fabricating one-of-a-kind parts is something that I did for many years in my previous job and is something that I am quite comfortable doing.

The goal of the experiment is to move the front tip of the seat forward of the bottom bracket rotational axis.  The existing top tube length seems appropriate for the current seat position (seat tip in line with bottom bracket rotational axis).  However, as you suggested, the frame may not fit me as well when the seat is positioned more forward of the bottom bracket rotational axis.  However, purchasing a different bike/frame is not really a feasible option at this time for the experiment while a bracket/adapter would be doable. 

2008-09-20 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1685159

Regular
Cleveland, OH

jhouse4 - 2008-09-19 6:09 PM

No they do not and the picture of the straight seat post... you only have the two positions available. It is shown with out the clamp.  (see picture)

I would be leery of anyone fabricating anything. You are not only putting yourself in danger but possibly others.

Thanks for the input.  Designing and fabricating one-of-a-kind parts though, used with machinery up to 500 hp, is something that I have done for years with success.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specialized Transition seat post adjuster help needed Rss Feed