Colorado Masters Running / Racewalking Association
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 13s
Overall Rank = 14/41
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Pretty much had stuff packed last night. Made sure I had a right and left of the same pair of shoes. Made a smoothie and headed up to Greyhounds place.
Event warmup:

Rode 22 miles from Greyhound's place to the race venue. Got ready and went to the start
Run
  • 1h 12m 13s
  • 8.73 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This race started off well. I had a hint of good feelings about it. Went to the start and looked at who was around. Settled in a few deep. Got boxed in to begin with behind 3 folks going a little slower than I had wanted too, (maybe I should have stayed behind them)... They broke apart and I was able to move around. I looked up and I was in 6th - novel concept for me and Greyhound was leading the race. That was short lived for both of us, shortly after the 1/2 mile mark a group of 4 went past me - oh well. Hit the mile mark in 7:18 and I was feeling good - much faster than any plan I had but it was slightly downhill for that mile too. Slowed on the next sections and ended up doing mile 2 in 7:40 - that was my optimistic target pace for the day. Did mile 3 in 7:50 and at this point a few more people went by. Slowed to 7:58 on mile 4, not a good trend but I was now hoping to maintain 8:00's the rest of the way. did the next 1/2 mile in 4:17 - down to LSD pace. Grabbed a cup of water and walked a bit looking at the 2 folks who passed me the last 1/2 mile. I felt better and was moving better after this walk break and ended up doing mile 5 in 8:20 so I picked it up after the water break. I was feeling good again and set my sights on the 3 people ahead of me, figuring I could knock them off each mile. Gained and passed the first guy shortly after 5.5 and the next guy before the 6 mile mark. Targeted the young lady ahead of me and was hoping I could reel her in over the next 2 mile. On an uphill coming from behind the dam, just shy of the 6.5 mile mark, the culmination of everything over the last couple of weeks caught up with me. The wheels seized up. I had to stop and stretch the glutes and hamstrings. After doing that for a bit, I started walking and then a light jog up to the 7 mile mark. Hit that at 8:53. Walked and stretched again hoping I could finish up in 16 to 18 minutes. Did another walk break about 7.5. Kept turning around and there was no-one behind me I knew I couldn't catch anyone ahead of me and just wanted to try and stay in front of anyone behind, hoping I could dig deep if I had too but thankful I never saw anyone behind. Walked and stretched again to the 8 mile mark. Did a 9:23 mile 8. By this time Greyhound had already finished in 2nd overall!!! Me, I was just trying to keep it moving. This was the worst my legs have ever felt on a run. Kept turning around and there was no-one behind me. Where could they be? Went by a group of nature photographers and then could see the finish line - still so far away. Slowly picked it up, or at least it felt like it. Didn't have the drive necessary to try and break 72:00 so just jogged it in.
What would you do differently?:

Take it out slower considering everything from the last couple of weeks.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some root beers, went through the awards, and rode back to Greyhounds.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The last two weeks.... Probably slightly dehydrated, legs didn't get a proper recovery this week and less food than I should have had before the race. Didn't have the mental or physical strength to push through it, the discipline or wisdom to start slower or the faith to believe I could hold it together.

Event comments:

Fun CMRA event, could have used some more volunteers for this one, guess those that wanted to make the drive up there wanted to race. A lot of the "normal" participants were not around today.

Last updated: 2008-08-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:12:13 | 08.73 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 14/41
Performance: Below average
All over the place, 7:18, 7:40, 7:50, 7:58, 8:20, 7:44, 8:53, 9:23, and 7:04 for the last 3/4.
Course: Lap around Barr Lake, dirt road and path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-20 8:34 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: Barr Lake 1/3 Marathon

2008-09-20 10:12 PM
in reply to: #1686259

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Barr Lake 1/3 Marathon
great race!  way to tough it out!  ...and thanks for the props.  grabbing 40+ miles on the bike today was a great idea!  great day to ride and race
2008-09-22 8:23 AM
in reply to: #1686259

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Barr Lake 1/3 Marathon
You did well especially considering having been sick for so long and racing last weekend.  Not what you hoped for but you hung in there!!  And still not a bad time at all!  Rest up and finish recovering from everything and see you at Lair o the Bear next month
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Barr Lake 1/3 Marathon Rss Feed