General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championship - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Almere,
Netherlands
Holland Triathlon
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 48m 42s
Overall Rank = 254/597
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 53/119
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0440 and headed to breakfast. Took the 0600 TeamUSA bus to the start / transition area. I enjoyed getting to the transition area with plenty of time to spare. I went over the bike 8 or 9 times, wandered around the area, spoke to some of the elite French athletes (who took 1st and 2nd), and then got ready to walk the 800m to the swim start.
Event warmup:

No warm up
Swim
  • 1h 16m 57s
  • 4000 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

I managed to get up front which I think minimized getting bounced around. Got my goggles knocked off in the first two hundred meters, but after about 400m there was limited contact. The course was alledgedly 4km. However, everyone swam about 15 to 20 min slower than expected. Suspect the course was longer than advertized + plus the conditions were difficult. There was quite a bit of chop and we were swimming into a current. Oh yea, the course swam directly into the sun so sighting was a little interesting. On a couple of occasions I popped up my head and saw no one (uh-oh). Then I spotted swimmers - usually to my left and then got back on course.

All in all, it was a decent swim. I was the third US swimmer out of the water. Would have liked to have been in the top 10% - but considering this was the world championships I was still competitive, just outside of the top 10%.

course details: http://www.triathlon-almere-2008.org/assets/images/parcourskaarten/...
What would you do differently?:

I could have pushed it harder along the long swim to the harbor, but opted to swim a comfortable pace.
Transition 1
  • 04m 53s
Comments:

There was a long run to T1. Once I got to my bike, I took my time to put on some socks, eat a gel and get organized. This being said 5 minutes in T1 is a little too long.

Hussel alittle more.
Bike
  • 3h 34m 6s
  • 120 kms
  • 33.63 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was totally flat and was comprised of a series of right angle turns through the Dutch flatlands. There was a surreal science fiction atmosphere as the course went through a series of massive wind farms with 100' wind turbines that had 30' blades - actually it was quite cool to see up close.

Yes, as noted above, the fact we were biking through wind farms meant - sustained winds. The good news was that the course always changed directions via right angle turns. So, you were either going full into the wind, wind at 90 degrees or wind at your back.

My goal was to keep it above 30kph while biking into the wind. In a couple of sections, when the wind was at our backs, I would reach 42 to 45 kph (fast for me).

I was very please with my bike. I had figured on a 3:55-ish time, so 3:34 was very good - espically considering the wind. This being said, when you bike faster than you trained, you are going to pay the price on the run.

Course details: http://www.triathlon-almere-2008.org/assets/images/parcourskaarten/...

The experience of biking hard for an extended time was excellent. Need to do more intervals and 20km / 40km time trials. If you want to bike faster, you have to train faster.
Transition 2
  • 06m 35s
Comments:

Towards the end of my bike ride I had figured that I had over done it. I entered into T2 and started cramping up. I hobbled off the bike, went to the bathroom and tried to stretch. Moving gingerly, so as not to cramp-up, I hobbled off onto the run.

Not too sure I could have done much more. Was pretty tired after the bike. My T1 and T2 combined time was close to 12 miuntes. Should have been about half that time.
Run
  • 2h 46m 13s
  • 30 kms
  • 05m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Three steps into the run and I started cramping up. The run became a battle of running up to the point of cramping up, but not beyond. If I had cramped up the run would have been over. This was a true mental run, counting down the kms one at a time.

I had planned to run about a 2:20. I was about 20 minutes faster than expected on the bike and then 25 minutes slower on the run - basically a wash.

The crowd support was great with lots of cheering Dutch fans.

course details: http://www.triathlon-almere-2008.org/assets/images/parcourskaarten/...

More interval work on the bike as preparation.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of a warm down. Had to rush to get the bike out of T2 and onto the transport bus. Ironman and ITU world Champion Chrissie Wellington was waiting in the finish area cheering on all of the finishers - an hour plus after she finished. She was all smiles signing autographs and posing for pictures - a true class act :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to do some more work on the bike.

Event comments:

A truly unique experience and privilege to race as part of Team USA. Would love to do it again. A big 'thanks' to my family for supporting me during my training - especially as we were in the midst of moving to Thailand. Thanks!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:16:57 | 4000 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/119
Overall: 70/597
Performance: Average
Average Heart Rate - 152
Suit: Ironman (BlueSeventy) Instinct
Course: 1300m triangle that brought you back to the start. 50m run on the beach and then 2700m swim to the Almere harbor.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:53
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:34:06 | 120 kms | 33.63 km/hr
Age Group: 78/119
Overall: 348/597
Performance: Good
First 60K - 1:45:43 (ahr140); Second 60K - 1:48:23 (ahr138)
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 2 x 60km loop through the plodder (flatlands) of Holland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:46:13 | 30 kms | 05m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 63/119
Overall: 302/597
First 15K - 1:17:44 (ahr136); Second 15K - 1:28:30 (ahr130)
Course: 2 x 15km loops through the woods and along the water front.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-23 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championship
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Long Distance Triathlon World Championship Rss Feed