General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finger Numbness and Herniated Cervical Disc Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-26 7:02 AM

User image

Subject: Finger Numbness and Herniated Cervical Disc

I went to orthopod for finger numbness thinking it was carpal tunnel...then after more test, it indicated that I may have a herniated cervical disc.  Not in any real pain, only the numbness and discomfort.  Going for MRI report today.  I have continued my "couch to sprint" during this ordeal, except for the initial painful onset.

Does anyone have any experience with a herniated cervical disc? 

Thank you!

VA

2008-09-26 8:50 PM
in reply to: #1697933

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Finger Numbness and Herniated Cervical Disc

yes I have this...for some reason massage triggers it and I end up in the ER (x3 in 6 yrs).  Other than that biking, running, anything where I stress it a lot I get the numbness.  Ibuprophin helps, icing helps.  The flare ups are some times for a week or so but mine all went away for the most part.  I should say to a manageable level at least.  The anti inflams help.

Mine is C6/C7...I tried traction but it just gave me headaches.  Best thing for me was just to lay with my head off the bed and let gravity pull it down for a few minutes in the morning.  Probably hanging upside down would do the same but I am not buying that machine.

2008-09-28 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

I have similar problems with C4 and C5 herniated.  I use a Theracane to massage trigger points in my back, do stretching several times a day, and try to keep a relaxed posture.  I was given the choice of surgery but was told I would loose 30% range of motion if I had two discs done.  I would talk to your doctor about physical therapy with a sports-related physical therapist.

If I don't do my exercises religiously (i.e. when things are going well) I always pay for it later.  I sometimes have my pinky and ring finger of my ring had go numb.  I have avoided surgery for 15 years.

Keep in mind that the greatest stress you are putting on your neck is when you tilt your head back. . .like when riding a bike.  Srtetching after bike riding is important.

2008-09-28 5:47 PM

User image

Thanks for your input.  My MRI showed a mild herniation at C3 and a more "severe" one at C6.  He is sending me to PT for the next month.  I have one of those inversion tables and I have been using it several times a day since Friday.  On Saturday I did Yoga for the first time.  I have to say that my numbness has improved over the weekend.  Luckily, I'm not one of the ones who suffers with constant pain.  I am not so terrified anymore. 

Thanks, again for your insight.

VA

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finger Numbness and Herniated Cervical Disc Rss Feed