General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-26 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Newport, RI
Subject: 1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?)
I guess this is along the lines of another thread about the "comfort" wave but I was debating with a friend the merit of the first timers wave. Now I come from a swimming background so even as a new triathlete I didn't need to consider the first timers wave, here is my argument against:

It seems counter productive to take almost ALL of the weakest swimmers (or at least the least experienced) and put them into the water at the SAME time. While awaiting my wave I'll watch the first few waves go off (not first timer waves) it's always fairly apparent in the first fifty or so yards which swimmers are the potential problems. I would think it's not NEARLY as apparent in a first timers wave (they usually go after me so I don't actually see them).

My buddy argued that a first timer won't be comfortable with all the contact incurred in a wave with more competitive athletes. If this is really a concern couldn't they just lay back or to the side a bit and after about 20 seconds they'll have all the space they need. Anyway, isn't there contact in the first timers wave? It's still a lot of people sharing a relatively small area?

I think there is also the thought that winning hardware is probably easier in the first timer wave. This is probably true, but I'm speaking only from a safety perspective so I'm not factoring awards into the equation.

The fact that so many races HAVE a first timers wave and from the responses about the comfort wave make me think I'm probably in the minority on this. But am I wrong?

2008-09-26 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1698447

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-26 11:21 AM

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Subject: RE: 1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?)

First time what? First sprint? First Ironman? There have been many pros who have won an event during their first time at a particular distance 

2008-09-26 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1698456

Regular
BA, Oklahoma
JeepFleeb - 2008-09-26 10:13 AM I think the safety of a first-timer wave is that they're the very last wave to start so faster swimmers from a different wave won't be swimming over them.
I figured this was the reasoning as well.
2008-09-26 11:42 AM

Expert
Virginia

JeepFleeb - 2008-09-26 11:13 AM I think the safety of a first-timer wave is that they're the very last wave to start so faster swimmers from a different wave won't be swimming over them.

That would be my guess. I know I'm not very comfortable in the water (and not very fast) so I seed myself very carefully time wise to try to prevent people having to swim over me.  And that's in a pool.  If there was a special wave for people doing a first OWS and started last, I'd be all over it for my first one. 

2008-09-26 11:49 AM

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
There is no guarentee that AG waves are going to be any easier for 1st timers even if they stay back in the start as mentioned. Don't forget the other advantage to starting 1st timer wave is for benefit on bike and run as well. If you were 1st timer in 1st wave and just got passed on Bike and Run all day, can be depressing (dually noted not all 1st timers are BOPers). But in general the law of averages say majority will be. Is safer in general to have slower traffic not out in front after the swim IMHO.

Worked out great in my first race and really enjoyed fact I was starting in the rear, took preasure off quite a bit. Some pschological advantage with passing others vs. the latter. Most of the time in smaller races the 1st timers are also grouped with Mountain Bikers, Clydes etc as well so you get more rounded group.

Last point is that it gives those who have never seen a wave race start see at least a few waves in front of them go... Then again that could just heighted the nerves even more.

2008-09-26 1:14 PM

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I also think there's a psychological component to it. As a first timer, it can seem like everyone there is experienced and that you're out of your league. Starting in a first timer's group would be much less intimidating and I'd bet there is more of a social aspect as you can all be nervous together.
2008-09-26 1:34 PM

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Then the safety boaters will know which wave is most likely to drown!

I think if it's an option, since most triathletes are not coming from a swimmer background, and for many it is their first OWS, it makes a lot of sense.  They will not get run down from behind, which is otherwise pretty likely as they won't always know how to seed themselves in the wave.  I think too that people with some experience will tend to do the whole washing machine bit more, and it is more likely to freak out the newbie.  Who then panics, and tries to grab the swimmers around him/her. Which can be a real problem.  Plus it will make the sport seem more accessible (insert debate here about increasing access). If it was mandatory, that might be a problem, since there will be some strong swimmers who are just new to tris, which would end up defeating the purpose of the wave.

2008-09-26 1:49 PM

Veteran
My first couple of races I started in the last wave,by request, now I feel comfortable in the pack
2008-09-26 2:06 PM

Veteran
Newport, RI
Like I said, I'm probably in the minority but it still seems LESS safe (I understand about being swam over but that seems like less of an issue than throwing a wave of ALL inexperienced swimmers into the water at the SAME time).

I wonder if there is anyone out there who has life guarded a tri and if they thought it was any more difficult to spot the "iffy" swimmer in regular waves versus a first timers wave.
2008-09-26 5:04 PM

Master
Houston

JeepFleeb - 2008-09-26 10:13 AM I think the safety of a first-timer wave is that they're the very last wave to start so faster swimmers from a different wave won't be swimming over them.

Totally agree.  My background is swimming and I normally catch the waves in front of me. A lot of beginner swimmers legs are not at the surface of the water so instead of me hitting their feet and knowing to go around I'll normally end up hitting them on head/shoulders. SORRY!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st timers wave (good idea or bad idea?) Rss Feed