United States
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 28m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We woke up at 7am at our hotel and ate a muffin we bought the night before. Left the hotel around 745a, walked about 1mi to the WTC site, and got on a shuttle bus. Bus took us over to Brooklyn.
Event warmup:

Probably walked another mile or so after hopping off the bus and to get to the start line.
Run
  • 27m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

This was an awesome experience. They said there were about 25,000 people there. My wife and I were pretty close to the front (only about 1000 people ahead of us!) so it was a very crowded run and not one were you could run a good steady pace. You constantly had to slow down and weave through people. But it was not about getting the best time, but just having a good time, and we did. The tunnel was almost 2mi long and was very hot. There was a light mist outside so that actually felt good. When we came out of the tunnel on the Manhattan side there were cops and fire guys lined up in uniform with flags and pictures of people from 9/11. I carried my camera and stopped a few times to take pictures. Wish I had done that more, but you risk the chance of getting run over! There were people all along the entire route cheering us on. They had high school bands and cheerleader all along it as well. It was amazing and I would recommend everyone trying it out at least once in their life. We are going to try and do it again.

There were people there from all over the world. A group of firefighters from London were there. Also, a lot of firefighters ran it in full gear just like Stephen Siller did on 9/11.
What would you do differently?:

Actually I would probably walk it, just to experience it more and take more pictures.
Post race
Warm down:

Because there were so many runners, they really forced you to keep moving after you finished. They corralled us to the next block where they had tons of food and goodies.

Event comments:

It was an awesome and awe-inspiring experience!

Last updated: 2008-08-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:30 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Started in Brooklyn, thru the battery tunnel, and then ended at WTC site.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-10-01 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: Tunnel To Towers Run

2008-10-01 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1708822

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tunnel To Towers Run

Hi Tim,

Sounds like a really wonderful event to be part of - very inspiring, and I'm sure being able to do it with your wife made it even more special.

Fantastic time too especially given you were taking photo's and held up due to the numbers.

Well done

2008-10-02 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1708822

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Subject: RE: Tunnel To Towers Run
Glad you enjoyed the race. I might do one this weekend... a charity one, so I will experience something similar too. It seems weird to call it a race when you don't go fast for all 5km.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tunnel To Towers Run Rss Feed