Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, 5:15 i think, drank a poweraid and had a powerbar and banana. got together with the team and headed to the race site
Event warmup:

Two words: Hurricane Ike. We were having wind gusts to 30 mph that day, and the second i stepped outside, i knew it would be a tough one. The lake we were to swim in had white caps and 3 ft swells. The race directors gave everyone the option to drop the swim and do a duathalon. Everyone was nervous about the swim, but collectively we all decided to give it a try
Swim
  • 26m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Based on the conditions of the water, i was really happy with my swim. First of all, I was incredibly nervous of doing a swim without a wetsuit, since that is basically what keeps me from sinking like a rock. The swim started with little conflict from the other racers. I hardly met anyone the entire time, so I guess I positioned myself well in the water. The waves made it so I was almost swimming into a wall every 5 seconds. I tried to synch my breathing with the crest of the wave, so I did not get water in the mouth every breath. This worked fairly well, and i ended up making it through this leg.
What would you do differently?:

Since my goal was not to die, I think I did alright. ;-) Great learning experience, and very happy that I finished this hard swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Ok, this is where the race gets interesting. Exiting the water, I see that everyone is still on the beach. I was thinking, "Oh s**t, did someone die??" Turns out, the far buoy broke loose from its restraints and floated away, sending a big crowd of people in a tizzy. So we all waited for everyone to get back to the beach, where then the EMS said that the swim conditions were unsafe and called it off. Only 4 of the 9 waves ended up swimming, which I was fine with (I was in the first wave). So after some planning, the race directors said that they were converting the event to a duathalon, and that the swim was scrapped. The race would re-start at T1, running from the beach to transition.
What would you do differently?:

There was nothing in my power that I could do.
Bike
  • 1h 34m 13s
  • 22 kms
  • 14.01 km/hr
Comments:

This was the hard part, wind like you wouldn't believe. This is the worst condition that I have ridden in to date, but I tried my best. People were wrecking and getting flats left and right, so I feel I was pretty lucky to not wipe out. My biggest problem was the traffic. Somehow, the race directors decided to run the bike on some on the busiest roads in the region, and you could tell too. My biggest issue was the drivers themselves, who all seemed in a huge hurry and did not really think that a race was going on. Really freaky and almost frightening. But I digress. Overall, the bike was fine, given conditions
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Performed a flying dismount fine, ran off to transition really quick IMHO, given the amount of people that were just s**tting around taking their time lol
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

A 2 loop course around the Nashville Shores park, some paths, some roads and some trail running. I personally did not like the run, way too many obstacles in the way (ie rocks, roots, poor path conditions). Tripped a couple of times, but no worries. Had the same stomach issues as always, but toughened through it and tried to finish. I am a slow runner (story of my life), so that is something I really need to focus on in the coming year. Not a bad run, performance wise, but I just need to try harder.
Post race
Warm down:

After the race, stretched out and went on home. I was tired, it was a really tough day, but I think I did pretty well considering all of the things that I had going against me. This was my first Oly race, and that alone I am happy with. The added weather did not help, but I really just looked at it as experience and preparation for Hickory Knob in a month.

When I got home, thats when I really got pissed. When checking the race times to see what I got, I could not find my name on the list. Apparently, they did not have me down for the run, so I assumed my timing chip messed up or something. I was furious. I struggled with that run, and it was not counted. I knew I did it, and so did everyone else, but they simply did not have a time for me. Oh well, there was nothing I could really do about it, so dont worry about it and just look forward for Hickory Knob

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather, I could have been more mentally prepared, but since it was my first Olympic distance race, I think I did alright.

Event comments:

I will race again, if they change the bike route a little (less busy roads) as well as the run (less trail running). Not bad, but could use some improvements

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:29 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Out and back, around the buoy routine.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:34:13 | 22 kms | 14.01 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Hilly loop around Nashville Shores, through some major roads and smaller neighborhoods
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-06 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Music City Triathlon

2008-10-06 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1720859

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Music City Triathlon
My experience was veryy similiar to yours. I was in wave 5, they stopped me 10 minutes into my swim. That bike was downright treachorous and the run was just odd. Oh well, you battled toff conditions and handled everyhng well. Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon Rss Feed