General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Chapman University Toyota of Orange 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3rd Annual Chapman University Toyota of Orange 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log
Orange, California
United States
?
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 20m 28s
Overall Rank = 44/905
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/44
Pre-race routine:

Gel and water for breakfast. ran down to the school (about one mile) and picked up packet.
Event warmup:

Warmed up by easy running and then some accelrations. Had to get to start about 5 minutes before gun
Run
  • 20m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out too hard ran the first mile with the leaders at about 5:30 min/mile. HR hit max right away. I tried to back off to recover but really never got HR below 179.

I did intend to go out hard. I read an article that in a 5k running positive splits can result in a better time than holding back the first mile. However, I didn't intend on blowing up.

The nice part was I didn't have to manuever around other runners. The course was wide open at the front and I'm sure it was fun for the leaders to pass me.
What would you do differently?:

I would train the week before. Family obligations had kept me at home all week. I'm sure my time would have been better with training. But, the 4th place in my group was a full minute faster. I'm not sure if I could have beaten that time, but I would have definitetly beaten the clown who cut in front of me and stopped right at the finish mat.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a walk/ run back home, showered and ate breakfast

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training.

Event comments:

No pre-race water or drinks available. IF you didn't bring your own you were SOL. Apparently I seemed to be the only person put off by this.

Last updated: 2008-10-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:28 | 03.1 miles | 06m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/44
Overall: 44/905
Performance: Good
1 loop HR AVG 180/ Max 187
Course: Single flat loop through the neighborhood surrounding Chapman University
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-10-07 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim
Subject: 3rd Annual Chapman University Toyota of Orange 5k
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Chapman University Toyota of Orange 5k Rss Feed