United States
Dallas Athletes
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 28s
Overall Rank = 44/162
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

I preface this report by saying I'm still a little disappointed with my results. This was on the same course as the Disco tri that took place two months prior and I finished around a minute slower this time.

Woke up around 4, grabbed my Ego waffles with almond butter and a banana and headed out the door. I ended up leaving my fluids at the house, so I had to borrow some from Jason when I picked him up. The bottles were a little smaller than the ones I normally used, but I don't think it affected me because it was a pretty cool and overcast day...some might even say it was A GREAT DAY FOR RUGBY!!!!

Arrived at the park earlier than Disco, so had plenty of time to get setup and stretch a bit before heading down to the shore.
Event warmup:

Got in a little swim, which proved to make for a chilly wait. I don't think the swim warm-up is that beneficial, it just makes me uncomfortable before I actually get to start swimming. The swim itself is warm-up enough. Did get to catch a nice view of the sunrise as I waited to get into the water.
Swim
  • 23m 30s
  • 1372 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt like a good swim. When I got to the shallow area I saw Jason in front of me, so I know I was swimming alright (since he always kicks my ass in the pool). After making the turn around the first buoy I saw Jason again, so I was feeling even better about my swim and decided to keep after it. During the last race I beat Jason out of the water and didn't even see him in T1. I thought this was a freak accident, but I imagined it might happen again in this race. As I rounded the second buoy I decided to pick up the pace and kept thinking I saw Jason to my right so I swam harder.

Again, close to the water exit it got a little tricky with a weird turn to the right to get around some pink buoys and then a left turn to the shore. As I got out of the water and looked to my right I realized it wasn't Jason and expected to see him in T1.
What would you do differently?:

It was a good swim for me and I don't think I would've done anything differently. As I get better, I'll try to draft more, but I find it difficult to find a set of feet traveling slightly faster than me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Didn't see Jason in T1, so I figured I beat him out of the water again. The rest of transition was pretty normal. I had some trouble clipping in at the mount line and it seemed to slow me a bit, but after that I was off.

Nothing, just clip in faster.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 47s
  • 23 miles
  • 18.70 mile/hr
Comments:

As I was running to the finish line I knew i was slower than the previous race on this course and a bit upset, because I felt better prepared. Looking back on it, I actually went faster on the swim and run, but significantly slower on the bike. Admittedly, I wasn't as prepared for this race as the previous because I tried to fit in some intense rides before this race in prep for Longhorn. My legs felt heavy during the entire ride and it shows in my pace. I know I'm capable of a much stronger ride and need to continue to improve my cycling.

My bike fit is bad and that has a lot to do with it I'm sure, but nothing changed from the previous race on this course and I slowed over 5 minutes this time. Very disappointing.

If I had it to do all over again, I probably wouldn't have done anything differently, because the ultimate goal was Longhorn and not a faster pace at TexasMan.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

First time I tried getting out of my shoes while on the bike. I did it pretty well, but it slowed me down nearing the transition. Jumping off the bike was easy, but there was a guy that made an abrupt stop right in front of me and I almost ran him over. I narrowly escaped the embarrassment and made it through the rest of T2 without a problem.

I remembered my socks this time, so no blisters! Also popped a couple of salt tablets before getting on the run course as a prevention.

As I was about to leave, I saw Jason pull in and this got me thinking that my bike was slow (or Jason kicked butt on the bike). I beat him out of the water, which means he made up time on me in the bike. Seeing him motivated me to run hard so he wouldn't catch me.

nothing
Run
  • 45m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Run felt good. Last time on this course I felt really slow in the beginning, but this time it felt better. Saw Jason at the first little turnaround and he was only a minute or two behind me, so I knew he was capable of catching me and I started to push it a bit. I thought I was going to finish pretty close to the top of this race so I started counting the number of runners that went by on the way out of the park (race weekend moved, so I knew there weren't as many people racing this time and I would have a better shot at finishing higher). The number grew and grew and eventually I stopped counting and decided to run my race. After i made the halfway turn I was feeling pretty good and picked up the pace. This time when I saw Jason after the turn he was a few minutes behind, but still capable of catching me, so I got going.

Once I was about a half mile from the end it became a reality that I wasn't going to beat my time from the last race. This really SUCKED. I just ran as fast as I could and crossed the finish.

Looking back on my time, this was my best pace for a tri of any distance and I improved on my run time from the last race, so I hold onto those nuggets of accomplishment.

Nothing. It was a solid run and it will only get faster with training.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some fluids and a couple of pieces of pizza before driving home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slightly fatigued bike muscles.

Event comments:

Good race, I had fun and felt safe.

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:30 | 1372 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 28/162
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangular shape; from what I recall it seemed close to equal on all sides. On the way out we ran into a really shallow area next to the shore. My hands were scraping bottom so I got up and walked for about 30-45s.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:47 | 23 miles | 18.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 85/162
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Course was the same as the race before, some rolling hills in the beginning. The second half seems faster to me and a little more scenic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:25 | 06.21 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 28/162
Performance: Good
Course: Along a paved trail leading up a hill and out of the park before making the turnaround. Then back into the park and back down the trail before making a left to loop around to the shore and across the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes