General Discussion Race Reports! » DQ Triathlon at Island Beach State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

DQ Triathlon at Island Beach State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Seaside Park, New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 31s
Overall Rank = 96/225
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Went down and stayed at the beach house Sat. night so I got to sleep in on race day. Very nice...Got some coffee and ate 1/2 cliff bar.
Event warmup:

waded into the ocean and flopped about for a bit...
Swim
  • 08m 34s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a bit congested to the first bouy. The RD had the 1st wave start way north of the bouy and it took them forever to reach it - all other waves just ran in even with the bouy and it was much quicker. I got kicked a couple of times going out - lots of traffic - couldn't get into a rythm till 1/2 way b/tween 1st and 2nd bouys. Sighted well and got crushed by one wave that landed on me. Figured it was shallow so I got up and started running between the 2nd and 3rd bouys for a little bit. At that particular spot it seemed like I was getting pulled out a bit and not making much progress swimming. When I stood up,I passed some people swimming. Couldn't catch a wave back to shore. Mike had said I was about 15th out of the water from my wave so I had some folks to find on the bike...
What would you do differently?:

not much
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Suit was stuck, HR seemed high after running in soft sand. Forgot to zero out the computer and change gears on my bike. Velcro from bike shoes had come completely out of loop so had to wrestle that back in...

See above.
Bike
  • 27m 24s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt very comfy on my new bike! I passed mucho people and only got passed by a handful of studs - wound up playing leapfrog with one guy all the way back. Avg'ed about 24 going out and about 19 coming in. Stayed aero the whole time although by the end I was sore from the new and much harder seat. All in all, I love the soloist!!!

Zero out computer first and get in the right gear out of T1
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Just slow. I need to (gasp) SIT to tie my running shoes tight enough to run in and pull on socks. I tried running sockless and wound up w/ nice blisters by mile 1.
Run
  • 28m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, I recognized a lot of backs that were running by me from the bike course. At least nobody completely dusted me - I kept a steady pace the whole time and focused on good form. I really thought I was faster than this b/c I was really trying to run fast rather than get sucked into my easy pace plodding along. Got passed by a good 8 or so people the last 1/4 mile but they were all guys so nobody from my AG. I guess wearing a bright yellow shirt was a nice target/goal for other racers. :)

Wear a singlet - it was hotter than I had expected. Nothing else- I concentrated on my running the whole time but I just need to get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water and gatorade - hung around w/ Mike, Bill and Al for a bit. Looked at the unofficial results and saw that I SHOULD be 3rd in my AG!!!!! Actually 4th but 2nd OA F was in my AG so I got bumped up. I wasn't actually on the results so I went to the scoring guys, explained my situation and they took my name and bib # and said they'd fix it. Come award time and they call out my finishing time 1:09:31 but someone elses name!!! NO, IT'S ME!!!!!! I almost cried. Mike and I went back to scoring guys and finally figure out that my bib # was 534 but I must have been handed chip # 533 by accident. Bib # 533 was given to Lauren someone who got 3rd place but with my times! There was no record of chip # 534 even entered in the race so Im figuring that maybe Lauren's chip wasn't working or something, I don't know...Anyway, they wound up giving me an award and in the results it just shows Lauren and I having all the same splits. Although I don't wear a watch and my computer wasn't zeroed out, the splits they showed were mine - not hers. There were no other girls who finished anywhere near me. My personal goal was to finish under 1:10 so I was happy with myself regardless of the mix up. Oh, and the run was a tad long and the bike was a tad short.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running endurance, traffic getting to the bouys, overall endurance I guess. Having a stomach virus is good for losing a few lbs. but I lost endurance also.

Event comments:

Yummy food - Al was supposed to race but didn't feel well so he backed out last minute. He wound up volunteering which was great b/c they were short a few folks at the water stations.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:34 | 440 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/225
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: out a short bit, turn right and follow the shoreline south 3 bouys then head in.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:27:24 | 10 miles | 21.90 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out w/ tailwind back w/ headwind.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:41 | 03.11 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the same road as the bike course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-13 2:11 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: DQ Triathlon at Island Beach State Park

2008-10-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1739087

Subject: RE: DQ Triathlon at Island Beach State Park

Nice job Kristin - great bike split!

The results/award screw up sucks.  I know how you feel - I've been there.  It's frustrating when you work so hard and it feels like you are the only one who cares that they got the results wrong.  Glad to hear that they gave you the award that you deserved.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DQ Triathlon at Island Beach State Park Rss Feed