OutLoad Productions
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 34s
Overall Rank = 1/330
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a bit early, really slept pretty crappy, so I just turned off the alarm and got up. Went to eat some food, grabbed a banana, cliff bar and a bit of some raisins. Then I went to the restroom... then got ready and got my Sister to help with pumping up my disc and then headed out!
Event warmup:

Jogged around and talked to some other guys warming up.. roughly 2 miles.
Run
  • 11m 12s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I was a little surprised at how many people went out way too fast. I think I was 20th at the first 100m. By 200m I had already started to slow down and fall into pace when I passed about a dozen people blowing up. :) Aaron was just up ahead, I was keeping him in check. Trent was on my heels and of course Ramiro was way out front. There was someone I wasn't expecting to be there, some 14 year old lanky kid. He ended up running 11:00 for the first run, wasn't a factor overall but he did run a 12:06 for the 2nd run. He will be trouble in a few years.

Back to the race. So It's Ramiro way up front, Aaron about 18ft ahead with the 14 year old. Then me and Trent. Not sure why, but trent went around me and bridged up to Aaron, I shrugged and went with him. Trent is about as good as a runner as me, maybe just a tad weaker and I know Aaron is a stronger runner than me. So on Trents part it was a bad choice. So I sit on his heels, while he sits on Aaron heels and we stay like that till the turn around. Then on the way back Trent is starting to grow a bit tired and goes back to my heels. We've already let the other 2 go and I notice how hard he is working and toss in a quick surge to drop him. Then I head into transition. :)

Ramiro was about 40s ahead, Aaron and kid about 12-15s and Trent fell back 18s.
What would you do differently?:

Nada, this was perfect.
Transition 1
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

A little slow, nothing went wrong, I just wasn't moving as fast as I could. 5-10s faster would of been nice.

Move quicker. :)
Bike
  • 31m 23s
  • 12.65 miles
  • 24.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I learned right before the race that about a 1.5 mile stretch had really bad potholes and just really bad surface in general. Doing 2 loops, so that's about 3 miles of really bad road surface and I mean really bad. :)

So I passed the 14 year old in Transition and Aaron on the mount line(he had a lil slip that cost him 20s). Though at the time I didn't notice it. I didn't figure it out till I was catching someone at about 2.5 miles and it wasn't Aaron, but Ramiro! Right before I caught him I eased up for a few seconds, then shifted down and hammered it for a few miles to make sure he didn't stick on me. I looked down and I was doing 28.5 for a bit, with a slight tailwind of course, but certainly putting some power in the pedals. :). So after catching Ramiro at around 2.5-3mile mark, I lead the bike till the last Mile when Jason finally caught me. I didn't let him go too far and got out of transition 2 before he did.

I really hammered the first loop, then eased up just a bit on the 2nd.

Not much.. I certainly lost a few seconds on the 2nd loop on the bad patch of road. The first time through that section it wasn't a problem since I was out in first and could pick my way easly. The 2nd time I was passing bunches of people and it got a bit tricky. Maybe if I yelled more, I could of gone through smoother.

But I didn't want to be an ass. :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 23s
Comments:

Excellent. :)

If I changed anything, I'd probably go slower. ;p
Run
  • 11m 52s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

So I came out of Transition 5-10 seconds ahead of Jason, but he isn't a runner, just a damn good cyclist so I wasn't worried about him. I was however worried about how far back Ramiro, Aaron, Trent and a couple others were. Those are all guys I've never beaten before and certainly could catch me if I was going slow. Even if I was running like my butt was on fire, Ramiro could catch me fairly easy if he was close.

I've never lead a race at this point of the race(or ever?) so I really enjoyed that. Though I think I enjoyed leading the bike even more. Anyway, it took me about 800m to get into my groove. Once I got under control, the turn around quickly came up and I was able to get a view of where I was. It was good, I probably had 50s then on Trent with Jason just behind and Aaron and Ramiro trailing 30s back. So I kept the pace up for the next 800m then I knew I had a even bigger lead and I was hurting so I eased up a bit.

Next thing I know I'm going across the Finish line and I gave a little arm raise. :)

Also of note, the 3 Duathlons I've done are part of a 3 race series and they give overall awards out for the best time of all 3 races. With my great performance today, I also won that. :) Though I just barely edged out Aaron, who beat me at the other two.

Looking back, it would of been nice to run it all out for a extra 15-20s, just to know I went 100%.. But hey, I can't complain. :)
Post race
Warm down:

2 mile jog

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Kinda funny, being in first actually ment I could slow up a bit in the end. ;)

I had a great day though!

Last updated: 2008-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:12 | 02 miles | 05m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 4/330
Performance: Good
Mile 1, roughly 5:34 Mile 2, roughly 5:38 (turn around wasn't exactly 1 mile)
Course: An out and back 1 mile run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:31:23 | 12.65 miles | 24.18 mile/hr
Overall: 2/330
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops Course.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:23.1
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:52 | 02 miles | 05m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 4/330
Course: Same course as the first one.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-19 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: Du the Bear Duathlon

2008-10-22 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1753021

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Du the Bear Duathlon
Congratulations on a great race.  It sounds like you had a great series as well!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Du the Bear Duathlon Rss Feed