General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke City Marathon - Half Marathon Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Duke City Marathon - Half Marathon Walk - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Albuquerque, New Mexico
United States
Duke City Marathon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 14m 12s
Overall Rank = 71/195
Age Group = men 40-45
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Prepped equipment the night before. We didn't feel like spending the extra $$$ for hotel, so we got up at 0345 am, had a bowl of cereal and made the two hour drive to Albuquerque.

Cheered on my wife who was walking the 5k.

Event warmup:

Did some walking and some stretching. Came to the realization that wearing a kilt can limit some of the stretches one can do before the event.
Run
  • 3h 14m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

A couple of years ago I figured I was "Duke Citied Out". I had run the half marathon one year, and was on a marathon relay team the following year, so at one point or another I had run all portions of the course. This year all the events started and finished on the same route, but the Half Marathon Walkers went the opposite direction after reaching the Bosque (riverside) Trail. A Fall stroll in some (slightly) different territory? Count me in.

I started slower for about the first third. Stopped briefly for a smooch from Mrs. Six who was on the final stretch of the 5k. At about and hour in I started feeling hungry and opened up the shot blocks.

Only complaint about the course, was its still being open to recreational use and some of the cyclists being less than cordial about sharing the trail.

On the second third I picked up the pace. I hit the turn around and realized that I was way ahead of schedule and sent Mrs. Six a quick text message.

At about mile 7 I started to incorporate more race/power waling technique and began passing people. At my second hour I finished off my shot blocks, and at about 2:30 in I had a gel.

At about mile 11 I found Mrs. Six waiting for me. She got tired of waiting around and decided to pull the the Dahon out of the trunk and go for a cruise. She stayed along with me until about mile 12.

I walked the final stretch into downtown where a good sized crowd was cheering - it had a weird sensation of being a one man parade - but at least they were cheering.

The weather was good, the company was great, I crossed the finish line about an hour faster than I anticipated, and I'm thinking I wouldn't mind walking a marathon one of these years.

What would you do differently?:

My Camelbak FlashFlo just felt awkward; I probably should have used the Fuel Belt.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching and went to Guardinio's for Sunday Brunch.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
03:14:12 | 13.1 miles | 14m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/195
Performance: Good
Course: Downtown and Bosque Trail : Out and Back
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-20 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: Duke City Marathon - Half Marathon Walk
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duke City Marathon - Half Marathon Walk Rss Feed