BBSC Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 30s
Overall Rank = 80/
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/34
Pre-race routine:

Met Beth at Starbucks and grabbed the regular pre-race breakfast - double tall skinny vanilla latte and reduced fat blueberry muffin. We drove out to the end of the race, parked my car, loaded my bike onto her rack and drove down to the lake. When we got to the event there were tons of people and T1 went on forever...set up my transition, got body marked and meditated for 10-15 minutes.
Event warmup:

Meditation (compassion and mindfulness meditation exercises). Walked around; James' stretch routine; listened to pre-race music to include Daughtr's There and Back and Rage Against The Machine No Shelter. Headed down to the start and talked with a few people before entering the water.
Swim
  • 13m 2s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Considering how horribly my last performance on this swim course went, I felt this was probably one of my best swims ever. The water was cold when we started and I was actually shaking in the water being so cold. There were a ton of women in the water and given this was USAT Club Nationals I was really nervous about the race, but just kept telling myself relax and go slow...race within yourself...and I managed to pull out one of my best swims without feeling like I really pushed it.
What would you do differently?:

Push alot harder on the swim. I know I could have gone around 1:20 if I really went for it...but I was having a good time and trying desperately not to repeat the absolute panic I had a few weeks ago in the water on the same course.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

This was the worst transition ever(note 3:24 time)...My wetsuit was stuck and then I had to bag up my entire transition area which took a minute considering my transition bag was broken...See comments below

Get better wetsuit lubricator...my wetsuit was completely stuck to my heel and arms...I let my sister tuck my cord and couldn't find it when I got out so I won't make that mistake again...I need to practice this part of the race...
Bike
  • 53m 55s
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough uphill course. Even though I have been out on the first 4 miles of this course a million times, the last 8 miles were hard plain and simple. It was difficult at best.

Push it...I rode with a friend for a good portion of the race and we chatted the whole time...I would skip the chat and race the race...
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

The transition came up quick and I was not entirely prepared for it so I only had time to get 1 foot out of my shoe before the transition dismount.

Anticipate the transition better and not rack my bike in the wrong spot...Could have been a 45 second transition if I had racked in the right place the first time...
Run
  • 24m 5s
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

This course was a little downhill and a little uphill. I enjoyed this course and probably could have gone a little faster on it...

Race the run portion a little faster...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Ate a bunch in the transition and watched Macca finish the Oly which was AWESOME!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad transitions

Event comments:

This race was so much fun. I am on board for next year! Kudos to BBSC for an excellent event - one of the most organized and most fun this year

Last updated: 2007-12-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:02 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: X-Terra
Course: Rectangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:55 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Long uphill for last 8 miles
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:05 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back from T2; short rollers
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-21 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Pumpkin Man

2008-10-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1756011

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Pumpkin Man
Good job - Pumpkinman is a hard course.  You barely had a chance to get warmed up on the bike before the big climb into transition.  And you're right....  the water WAS cold!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkin Man Rss Feed