General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Total Time = 6h 39m 34s
Overall Rank = 1409/1929
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 68/92
Pre-race routine:

None really...ate a cliff bar and some peanut butter, drank some water, had a few sips of coffee (I should have drank a full cup...huge headache at the end of the race from caffeine withdrawal) and headed to the race with hubby, texmom and dblack.
Event warmup:

Didn't have time...sat in traffic, then put my stuff in transition...it was time to begin.
Swim
  • 38m 38s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

First, I want to apologize for not swimming in a straight line...I can't navigate to save my life! At one point, I was headed back to shore! I suck at swimming! I did it, but I'm not a swimmer... After rounding the first buoy, my breathing was under control. I did manage to find a groove on the long stretch of the swim. I just can't swim straight...I zigzag all over. I was just so happy to get out of the water. It was nice to see pink caps still in the lake...I didn't want to be the last one out!
What would you do differently?:

I need to learn to swim straight...period!
Transition 1
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

So transitions aren't my thing either...I spend some time cleaning my feet. I don't like it when dirt and grass are between my toes. I'm glad I brought an extra water bottle for my feet.

move faster...no excuse!
Bike
  • 3h 23m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.50 mile/hr
Comments:

After the first few miles, I settled in and just rode. I passed a few people and many passed me. My bike is pretty crummy compared to the bikes that zoomed by me. Several people would pass and ask if I was okay. Was I that bad??? Did my bike suck that bad??? Anyways, I rode the best I could. The wind at times was tough as well as riding on chipseal. I didn't want to ride to hard. I just kept telling myself to save some for the run. My nutrition on the bike was good. I took in plenty of fluids and GU's along with shot blocks and a cliff bar. The last 10 miles felt really good. The only part that made me a little nervous was riding down the hill before quadzilla along side cars! That portion of the road should be closed off to car traffic.

Get a new bike for next season!
Transition 2
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Transitions are slow...I did have wait 2 people deep to use the porta potty. I drank plenty of fluids on the ride...

nothing...I'm slow...
Run
  • 2h 27m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I intentionally started off slow. I wanted to run the first loop at a slow pace and walk as needed. After running about .25 miles, my quads began to tighten. I stopped and stretched really well. I'm so glad I did...within minutes I felt fine again and did not have any trouble the rest of the race with my legs. I loved the towels and sponges. I walked each aid station and took in a few GU's. It was tough getting those GU's down. So I switched to shot blocks...not much easier, but I needed something different. I had a few sips of coke because of the caffeine headache I had developed on the bike ride. I stopped 2 more times for the porta potties...On the second loop, I picked my pace up and walked less. I only walked aid stations and quadzilla. I felt really good. I loved seeing my husband at different points on the run. He was the greatest spectator! Coming across the finish line was awesome. My husband and friends were cheering me on. It was hard to stop moving after being in motion for over 6 1/2 hours! I walked around...and used the potty again. By now, I'm feeling well hydrated.

Looking back, I had a lot left in my tank. I could have run a bit faster with less walking, but I'm very pleased with my results.
Post race
Warm down:

I meet up with friends. We visited the food tent and sat to eat. I drank a diet coke which tasted soooo good! After about an hour, I was ready to head back to the hotel. I began feeling really whoozy...I think I drank too many fluids on the bike and run...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing...I was pleased. I had only participated in sprint triathlons before signing up for the HIM. I went from training for a 300m swim, 14 mile bike and 5K to training for a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and 13.1 run...All I can say is....I did it! And I think I want to do it again!!

Event comments:

This was a well planned race...my only complaint was the morning traffic which caused a delay in the start time. The volunteer support was fantastic. I enjoyed the music and spectators on the course.

Last updated: 2008-06-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:38 | 1931 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/92
Overall: 1693/1929
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: triangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 05:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:23:36 | 56 miles | 16.50 mile/hr
Overall: 1552/1929
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:27:52 | 13.1 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 1147/1929
Performance: Average
Course: 10k loop...mostly road with a portion on dirt/grass...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-10-21 8:33 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed