General Discussion Race Reports! » Jittery Joe's Fall Classic Century Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jittery Joe's Fall Classic Century - CycleCentury

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Watkinsville, Georgia
United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first cycling event, so I guess I really don't have a routine for this yet. I grabbed a nature valley sweet and salty bar, ate that on the way there with some water, got registered, moved my car, got my bike ready.
Event warmup:

Rode from the parking area to the start, found Mary and Rachel and tried to stay warm.
- The event raised money for the Athens area Habitat for Humanity.
Bike
  • 4h 45m
  • 64.3 miles
  • 13.54 mile/hr
Comments:

When we started out, it was cold and cloudy, the roads wet from rain the day before. It got better as the day wore on. The sun finally came out and dried up all the rain and that was awesome.
The race had two options, a 31-miler and a 62-miler (which was more like 64 according to Mary's computer). At the split point, we decided to go for it and do the full metric century. I think we were a little oxygen deprived. Anyway, as soon as we turned right and onto the long course, the road goes from sunny to dark and cold and shadowy again. It didn't stay that way, but it was an omen on how long 64 miles actually takes to ride.
We also did an unscientific study on which farm animals will look at you when you holler "hey, cow (goat, horse, cat, dog, etc.)" at them. According to our study, cows look about 10 percent of the time, horses only look up when they're not stuffing their faces, goats look up 100 percent of the time (they evidently are more curious), cats occasionally pay attention, and dogs were already waiting for us. Great way to pass the time!
What would you do differently?:

Practice. Eat a bigger breakfast. Practice. Ride longer. More time in the saddle. Stuff like that.
Post race
Warm down:

I grumbled all the way to the bananas, because I was so tired. They were already breaking everything down. At least they left out some food. I had a banana, small bagel. We walked through the parking lot and then rode back to our cars.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of preparation. Grumpiness. Lack of preparation. Wind. Hills.

Event comments:

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the course. It was BEAUTIFUL. I could say that over and over again. Despite the pain and the cold, the course was gorgeous. The support, however, sucked. And big time. The event started late, which was great for those of us scrambling. That was cool. But, there was only ONE sag/support station between the start and mile 48ish. NOT COOL. We had to fill our water bottles in Rutledge in a restaurant, which the owner was so, so nice to do. Why? BECAUSE THERE WAS NO FREAKIN' SUPPORT if you weren't riding the 31-mile option. I didn't even see a freakin' support vehicle. Once we got back on the 31-mile's route, there were two support stations. So, the people riding 31 miles got three water stops and the people riding 62 miles got three water stops. Something weird here. I was so mad. Anyway, besides all that, I'm definitely driving to Rutledge soon to eat at that cafe and thank them. And I'm going to do this ride again, because it was so beautiful. I'll just come prepared.

Last updated: 2008-10-25 12:00 AM
Biking
04:45:00 | 64.3 miles | 13.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Long and rambling. Started in Watkinsville, went through Good Hope, Rutledge, Bostwick and Bishop before heading back to the start.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-10-25 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: Jittery Joe's Fall Classic Century

2008-10-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1765769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Jittery Joe's Fall Classic Century

Congratulations on the Metric Century.  Maybe the support will be better next year.

I like to bark at animals to see what they do.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jittery Joe's Fall Classic Century Rss Feed