East Texas Triathletes
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 30m
Overall Rank = 85/139
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

I unloaded the bike, pumped the tires, set up my transition zone, and spent some time with my wife. Unfortunately I also ate some last-minute food too close to race time. That came back to haunt me later in the run.
Event warmup:

I warmed with just a bit of light running. The anticipation of the event was working on my nerves, so I decided to just chit chat with other racers. That ended up being the best thing to do.
Swim
  • 17m 10s
  • 650 meters
  • 02m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

With the start of the school year (including all the teacher workshops that go with it), I hadn't been able to seriously train for about four weeks. It definitely showed on the swim!

I swam freestyle for the first 150 meters to the first buoy. Along the way, I was having major problems with my goggles leaking water. It became so aggravating that I ended up just swimming side-stroke for about 80% of the remainder.
What would you do differently?:

Next year as the start of the school year begins, I'm going to keep pushing myself to stay on top of my training.

The practice tri that the East Texas Triathletes put on in August went great, and I was able to freestyle the entire thing. But when you take away four weeks of swim training, freestyle becomes much more difficult.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Here's one thing I never anticipated. When standing next to my bike, I was trying to put on my socks, but I kept tipping over. I'd have to put my hand on my handlebars for balance. After a good 30 seconds of trying to balance myself, my equilibrium came back and I was able to put on my socks and shoes.

As I left the parking lot and hit the road, I couldn't help but laugh at myself. Swimming side stroke had REALLY thrown my balance off. All I could do was hope that I wouldn't topple over on the bike.
Bike
  • 45m 41s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 19.04 mile/hr
Comments:

This was by far the best portion of my event. I clipped in and focused on keeping a nice cadence.

The only downside was when I came back to the main road after the turn around. The police office at the intersection actually stopped another rider and myself in order to let a truck go first. It was frustrating have all that momentum and stop to wait for a truck.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

The second transition went well. I racked my bike, put on my running shoes and running belt, grabbed my hat and glasses, and off I went.
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course went great for the first quarter mile... and then the cramps hit. My stomach cramped like never before, and it brought me to a standstill at several points in the course.

It took until I was a good 1.75 miles into the course before my stomach loosened enough for me to establish any kind of comfortable pace. Of course, by then, I knew my time was going to stink.

I think the whole cramping problem came about from my last minute breakfast snack I had before the swim. NEVER AGAIN will I make that mistake!!
What would you do differently?:

No eating before the race! 'Nuf Said!!
Post race
Warm down:

I did a light run after the race to cool off my legs. After that, my warm-down consisted of a massage, smoothies and good food!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again, I think the main thing that did me in was my late breakfast snack. I wish I had known then what I know now!!

Last updated: 2008-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:10 | 650 meters | 02m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 0/139
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit (no wetsuit)
Course: The course consisted of two buoys. We swam straight out for about 150 meters. After a left turn, we continued 400 meters until we came to another left turn that took us into the shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:41 | 14.5 miles | 19.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:17 | 03.1 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/11
Performance: Below average
Course: The 5K was broken up into three "out-and-back" segments. That meant there were three chances to get water and a cool towel! Very nice!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes