Holy Spirit Church
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 29m
Overall Rank = 79/139
Age Group = F 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early enough to eat breakfast, drink coffee and get our gear together. After the race, we were headed to Bryan's first for a bike ride, then Brian's for a bonfire. Lots of gear to prepare.
Event warmup:

Jogged to the corner and back. Tried not to get too sweaty.
Run
  • 29m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I started up too far in back and didn't have a pacer. About half a mile in, I spotted Rich (from the gym) a little ways ahead, but couldn't catch him. Had to pace from back a ways. First mile in 8:50 and I knew I'd pay for that later. The next mile was about trying to pace and run smarter. The last mile is uphill and the last half mile was into the wind. About that time, I started to get dizzy and a bit of tunnel vision. Not fun at all. Maybe a breakfast of straight sugar wasn't the best idea. In the last hundred feet, I just put my head down and attempted to sprint. No need to hold back. I passed the girl I'd been following and beat her to the line. Just before the tunnel started to close in, I was done. 5k's hurt.
What would you do differently?:

Smarter breakfast choices. Not go out so fast. Have a pacer at the beginning of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit to get the HR down and stop the dizziness. Then found Joe R. and Mario and we chatted while waiting for the spouses to finish. Got kind of chilly so I was glad to find the treats after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual.

Event comments:

Even though it's a tough last mile, I like this race. Nice people and good treats at the end.

Last updated: 2008-10-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/139
Performance: Good
Avg HR- 176 Max HR- 187 Ouch.
Course: Out and back on the trail. Downhill first mile, flat second mile, uphill (into the wind) last mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?