United States
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 14s
Overall Rank = 75/438
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/18
Event warmup:

Ran to the race site from where I parked, which was not too close. Ran about another mile and threw in a few strides.
Run
  • 37m 14s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran as part of my company's team. One of the women on our team was an NCAA track & field standout. I lined up a few people back from her and her friend and thought that it might be fun to see if I could even come close to hanging with them.

BWAA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! They took off and were running 6:00-6:15 minute miles (her friend won the women's race with sub 6's). Okay, that isn't going to happen today. I latched on to two guys that were running at about a 6:55 pace. They were running side by side and I tucked in right behind them and tried to avoid some of the wind.

This was idiotic and I knew it; I was sure that I wasn't going to pull something this fast today. But what the heck, I thought that I would try. After the first mile, they were still laughing and talking and I was already feeling like this was a mistake. I hung in there for most of the second mile, but started to slow up.

I just cut it way back on mile 3 and tried not to die the last couple of miles. I got a little burst of energy the last 1/2 mile and finished strong. My legs were very tight and I never felt comfortable during the race.

I ate a giant cookie, bagel, smoothie and had some coffee after the race. I then stopped at Starbucks and then McDonalds on the way home. I am now feeling very full.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little and cheered in the rest of my team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran MCM last weekend and my legs weren't ready for this.

Event comments:

This was a well organized race. It is on the same course around Hains Point as every other race in this area. It supports a good cause.

Last updated: 2008-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:14 | 05 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 75/438
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-11-02 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Run! Geek! Run!

2008-11-02 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1782182

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Run! Geek! Run!
How far were you from 3rd in your AG? You still did well.

Edited by Comet 2008-11-02 8:01 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run! Geek! Run! Rss Feed