United States
US Race Series
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 31m 7s
Overall Rank = 1952/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 233/258
Pre-race routine:

Terrible weekend to be running a race. Went out on Friday night for Halloween, got 3 hours of sleep or so. Then I woke up and flew to Oakland and then went to the Cal-Oregon game, stood in the rain for a couple of hours watching the Cal victory, then went out that night again for a friend's 30th birthday. Slept maybe 2 hours before the race morning. I had crashed at my friend's house in the Marina district, so I jogged over to the start line. Thank goodness for daylight savings time, or else I probably wouldn't have slept at all!
Event warmup:

I hadn't run in about 2 weeks, resting my IT Band, and I really didn't warm up much except for the jog to the start line. I stretched a bit, then waited in line for the port-o-potty while the event started. By the time I got to the front and started, the gun had gone off like 5-10 minutes before haha.
Run
  • 2h 31m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran hard for the first 3 miles. I caught up to the main group after my delay in waiting for the port-o-potty. Then I did a run/walk most of the rest of the way due to wanting not to blow up my IT Band. I was able to manage a sub-12:00 pace for the most part, despite cramping and the cold. It was pretty cold out on the bridge, but that's better for running. There were some hills, but I didn't really mind them at all. Nothing too grueling or long.

The course was spectacular with some awesome views of SF and the GG Bridge. Unfortunately, the volunteers were out of water by the time I got to some stations, and they didn't even have any gels or anything for runners.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should not have run at all in my current injured state. So next time, I guess I would run un-injured. And also, not go out Friday or Saturday night and go to a football game the day before and drink so much alcohol. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed some free stuff (most of it was gone by the time I finished), and then went back to my friend's place to grab my things from the night before.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury

Event comments:

Beautiful course with some great views.

Last updated: 2008-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:31:07 | 13.1 miles | 11m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 233/258
Overall: 258/
Performance: Below average
7 mile pace: 1:17:10
Course: Along the Presidio, up to the Golden Gate Bridge, across the bridge, and back the way we came, for the most part.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No