Canada
3C / 37F
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 5s
Overall Rank = 281/568
Age Group = Women 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 22/49
Pre-race routine:

Not much... It was about -2 C when I arrived at the Angus Glen Golf Course. I went to pick up my timing chip and swag bag and waited for the run to start. I had a high protein boost about an hour prior to the start of the race and a gel about 5 minutes before.
Event warmup:

Stretched thoroughly in the club house.
Run
  • 57m 4s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 43s  min/km
Comments:

Personal best for me, yay! I had no time goal in mind but expected to complete the race in 1:05:00 or so. I was already familiar with the terrain, the race was held in the area where I bike the most. There was a few gradual climbs which I ran without difficulties. I paced myself very well during the first 5k. I also did 15/1's, so I walked a total of 3 minutes throughout the entire race.

At kilometer 9, my Garmin was indicating a time of 52 minutes and change. I was going to make it within one hour for sure but was pondering if I was going to take it easy or crank it up. I did the later and ended this race with my best time ever on this distance.
What would you do differently?:

All things considered, I could have completed this race in 55 minutes. I did not really need the walk breaks every 15 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little inside the club house, had my post-race lunch, sneezed like crazy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fear of pushing myself too hard.

Event comments:

This was a very well organized race, from the time I arrived at the parking lot until I left the premises. The one disappointment from this event though was the timing chip. It matched my bib number but it was either dead or not activated prior being handed over to me. It was as if I never ran this race; the timing chip company rep told me that he did not have a start nor finish time for me but his list had me as a participant. I wore my chip at the front of my left ankle as usual... This sucks because I have no official finish time on my personal best. I wrote to the timing chip company to address the issue but I have yet to hear back from them.

Other than that, the post race activities for the 10k and half-marathon were good. I had an great post-race lunch. I will most likely sign up again for the 10k event.

Update: Sportstats finally found my start and finish times, yay!

Last updated: 2008-04-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:04 | 10 kms | 05m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 22/49
Overall: 0/568
Performance: Good
Course: From the Angus Glen Golf Course club house, into the Angus Glen community, then on Kennedy Rd North with the turnaround somewhere between Elgin Mills and 19th avenue and back to the club house.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes