National Lung Cancer Partnership
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 26m 28s
Overall Rank = 16/83
Age Group = 15-19
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

I woke up about 2 hours before the race started. After eating breakfast, I did a warm-up on the treadmill and went to the race. The race was only about 5 minutes away from home, so it wasn't a very long drive at all!
Event warmup:

I ran for 15 minutes on the treadmill and did some leg stretches before leaving.
Run
  • 26m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 5K run in almost a year, so I had no idea what I was capable of. Despite this, I gave this run all I had! It felt like I was flying during most of the run.

I knew I was going a lot faster than I would have normally would have when I started passing a fairly large amount of people. I am normally back of the pack in ALL sports I do and rarely pass anyone.

For all of the race I was basicly just thinking about how great it was to be racing that morning. It was a beautiful November morning and it was really fun running in neighborhoods I would normally never run in.

I started feeling the effort of the run about half way through the race. After mile 2 I was starting to breathe really heavy and knew I was working hard. It was a fun kind of work though, if that makes any sense at all.

After sprinting towards the finish line, I could not believe my time. 26:28. This was a 3 minute PR, and a middle of the pack time. That is what made this race so meaningful to me- that I got a middle of the pack time!

I have been terrible at sports my entire life, getting picked last for gym, finishing dead last (or nearly dead last) in every athletic event I attempt, etc. I never knew I had this kind of race in me.

It's intresting that I did so well in this race considering I mainly swim, and don't do as much running. This training routine will definitely change in the near future.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing!!!!
The only thing I would do differently is train harder for next time!
Post race
Warm down:

I did a slow 10 minute jog around the streets in my neighborhood when I got home in order to get my breath back to normal. The rest of the day was spent in complete disbelief. I had no idea I could run a 26:28 5K. My times are usally in the 30s!

When I looked at the race results a day later, I still could not believe how well I had done. I ended up taking first in my age group, beating 2 people who run on the cross country and track teams.

I thought I would never be a capable athlete. This race completely changed my outlook on everything!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I can actually start actually training for running, instead of merely jogging a few times a week- then I could really see my times go down!

Event comments:

Loved this race!!!! If they have it again next year, I will definitely do it!

Last updated: 2008-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:28 | 03.11 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 16/83
Performance: Good
Course: Ran in front of my high school and into a neighborhood. The finish line was at the high school.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes