General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Pink All Female Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Triathlon Pink All Female Triathlon Series - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne / Perth / Sydney / Gold Coast, Victoria
Australia
T3 Events
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 16s
Overall Rank = 53/149
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/24
Pre-race routine:

We (Chloe, Kim and I)stayed a few minutes away from the event so we didn't have to travel in, in the morning. Put out everything we needed the night before and set the alarm 15 minutes before we had to leave (5.45am).
We didn't bother with breakfast as the disances were really short. We had a sports drink and a banana on hand if we needed them.
Event warmup:

None really, we had walked around a bit getting Chloe set up in the transition area and walked to and from the car a bunch of times.
Swim
  • 04m
  • 200 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

We started quite quickly - we were supposed to have a count down from 10 but the lady ran over saying we ran out of time GO! so we were off and swimming before I knew it. I got a kick in the head first up along with a lung full of water but I was kinda glad I got to experience that so I could tell what it was like. I shook it off quickly and started to pass other swimmers. There were 10 in my wave and coming into the first bouy I was about to overtake the girl in the lead but it only dawned on me at the bouy that I had never navitaged my way AROUND anything before so I lost 2 places - this happened at every bouy!!! My pace was faster than the other girls but stuffing up all 3 bouys had me leaving the water in 3rd place.
It took me 75m to gain focus after the rushed start and begin to feel comfortable - I was feeling pretty happy not to be at the back!
What would you do differently?:

Bouys definitely and also not leave it too late to pick up the pace, I was saving myself a bit I think.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

This seemed to take AGES by the time I got my shorts and top on and shoes and socks and my hat and got my bike off the rack. There was also a 250m run from the pool to the bike and that is inlcuded in this time.

I need to think on that, I felt as though I was going as quick as I could without rushing and stuffing it up. Perhaps a tri suit??
Bike
  • 14m 36s
  • 6 kms
  • 24.66 km/hr
Comments:

I overtook a lot of people on this leg but as they were letting the waves come through all the time. Only 1 person from my wave overtook me.
This course was one big circle so lots of corners; there was only room for one person to overtake so I got held up a few times waiting for slower people to overtake. I would have liked a few longer, straighter stretches.

More bike time, I was hardly on my bike at all in the last 2 months.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I rode in runners so the transition was pretty quick as all I had to do was run to the rack, put my helmet away grab my hat, have a quick drink and start running.
Run
  • 11m 52s
  • 2 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

This felt really slow and I was dissapointed to see I was almost 2 minutes off my pace. I had done a brick the week before and had my run under 10 minutes. I think my chest cold making it hard to breath made this harder than it needed to be.

More bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around; grabbed a drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I came down with a chest cold a week before the event and was still coughing a lot waiting for the race to start but really I am not sure as this was my first tri. The result may have been the same even without that as I had obviously never done all legs in one go before.

Event comments:

This was a really good start into triathlon; it has definitely opened my eyes to just how fit you need to be to do well at it. The event was a fund rasier for breast cancer and the atmosphere was really lovely (all girl race). I will definitely do it again next year but will do the longer distance next time.

Last updated: 2008-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:00 | 200 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 6/24
Overall: 0/149
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim - 50m pool with marker bouys.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:14:36 | 06 kms | 24.66 km/hr
Age Group: 8/24
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:52 | 02 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 8/24
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-04 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Triathlon Pink All Female Triathlon Series

2008-11-04 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1788187

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Triathlon Pink All Female Triathlon Series
Congratulations, triathlete!!!  I think it's important for me to tell you that you should be really, really proud of yourself.  Not just because you finished a triathlon, but because your rankings are incredible with this being your first!  That's just awesome...
2008-11-05 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1788251

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Really, and outstanding job.  You'll have a great year building on what you've already done here!
2008-11-07 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1788187

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
NICE!!

It's usually the opposite for me - I only pass one person in my wave on the bike... the rest pass me.

And you came out amazingly after the swim!

...nice.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon Pink All Female Triathlon Series Rss Feed