General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Race 2 Robina Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Race 2 Robina - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Robina, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
29C / 84F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 3s
Overall Rank = 611/828
Age Group = 25-29 Female
Age Group Rank = 20/46
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the ungodly hour of 3am. Made vegemite on toast and ate it as we'd run out of bananas and I didn't want peanut butter. Also downed some glucosamine tablets.
Made for the car at 4am... and promply fell asleep. Thank goodness my honey drove me!
Get to Robina just as transition opens. Nice. Picked a great carpark and got a great spot on the traffic island.
Then the waiting game. Tim bought himself a coffee and me a hot chocolate. I usually don't like drinking hot chocolate before a race... But I looked at my watch. i had over TWO hours until race start. Why the hell not?
Joined the queue for the loos, and that's really how I spent my prep time.
Event warmup:

jumped in the water at 7:39 and did freestyle and breast stroke and water treading.
Swim
  • 09m 32s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

To be honest I thought I'd had a GREAT swim! I was faster today, I got a beat going immeadiatley and i was kicking well. I was drafting and overtaking people as often as I could and I breathed on both sides. Didn't get lost at all.

The time I'm a little dissapointed with. I thought I'd gone faster. Them's the breaks I guess.

No biffo today.
What would you do differently?:

My swim is improving all the time. A MOP is a GREAT result.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I seriously F***ed up the mount... LOST TIME but it got my adrenalin going...

Anyway. Run out of the water and start to remove my earplugs, cap and goggles as we take the LONG way into transition. On with the helmet and sunnies and out we go!

YEARGH!!! I HATE mounting my bike! I can't freaking jump that high and then I stuffed up the whole shoe postion thing. Wasn't a happy girl...
Bike
  • 35m 14s
  • 15 kms
  • 25.54 km/hr
Comments:

So going out we had a tailwind. Got my shoes on pretty much straight away.

The race felt like an enticer. I was feeling FAST. got to 40kph almost immeadiatly then had to break for the corner as the hotdog turn was sharp. I got spoken too by the tech official. Apparently I didn't get to the left quick enough after overtaking. Well how the hell could I do that when the chick I overtook was drafting off the guy infront of her and he suddenly decided to keep pace with me! GRRRRR.

drink and nutrition was good But this course was really soo quick!

The headwinds were a bit much after those tailwinds.

I kept playing chicken with another girl in my wave, so after the last turn on lap three I GUNNED it and left her for dead. :)

I really don't know. i mean I felt like I'd done great.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Okay - I admit it. I'm too scared to dismount properly in a race. I need to work on that

Racked my bike. shoes off and on, grab cap and belt and go.

PRACTICE
Run
  • 23m 15s
  • 4 kms
  • 05m 49s  min/km
Comments:

As SOON as I hit the road I felt it. THE HEAT. It was glarey and hot and HUMID. The drink station I hit almost straight away and took one cup. Drank it all and kept moving. Up over the bridge and away.

I'd pick off people like a lioness picks off their prey. I'd focus on the next person I "should be able to overtake" and made my way up to them

Once I got over one side of the bridge I felt it. I've had heat stroke before, and the feeling that I had fall over me suddenly told me this wasn't going to be good.

I SHIVERED!!! I had only done 2km. All my med science training was screaming at me. "Your core temperature has risen to the point that your body thinks its cold so it's shivering!" S***!!!!! I slowed my pace.

Round past the finish line turning back out for lap two. I screamed at the drinks guys for TWO CUPS. Drank one and splashed the second all over my head neck and chest. Success I'd cooled a bit! For only a few hundred meters...

I was feeling a blister coming on... I was overheateated... I gave up. I was about to walk when I realised that Ben (one of our clubs rising junior stars (he is 12 years old and competed in his first QTS distance today) was just ahead of me. I sprinted to catch up. He wasn't happy. He had fallen off during the bike leg and he looked miserable. I encouraged him as best I could and let him fly off into the distance.

There was NO WAY I could quit when this little guy was fighting out there for himself! Just keep running - They can fix your blister later!

Coming back up over the bridge I was starting to feel really hot, I was shivering again too.

I saw the finish, I couldn't sprint for it, I just kept plugging along.

Over the line I was exhausted. It was the TOUGHEST run I've done in a LOOOOOOOONG time

Tape my foot a bit better to avoid blisters
Post race
Warm down:

I immeadiatly got to the first aid tent and let myself shiver, I didn't want to cause too much of a fuss since they were working on another girl who'd fainted from the heat.

I was red... I asked the guy for some ice and rubbed it around my neck before stuffing it down my sports bra. I was DESPERATE for some water, but didn't want to leave the first aid tent until I was sure I wasn't going to fall over.

The place started to get full. Tim was watching me as I got up and slowly trudged outta there. i got a cup of gatorade and a cup of water. then layed down in the shade of a tree with my ice until I cooled down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE HEAT. Plain and simple! i was hoping to chop 1-2mins off my last races time but I couldn't do it today. The heat was STIFFLING. on our way home at 10:00 am it was 31degrees C and 94% humidity!!!

Event comments:

Quite simply there were NOT enough drinks stations today on the run and it was TOO CLOSE to the start of the run laps. That's my only beef really.

It was WAY too hot. The number of girls in the first aid/recovery tent proved that.

But other than that a great race as always. :) I did enjoy the swim and the ride. The run was terrible.

Last updated: 2008-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:32 | 400 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 21/46
Overall: 540/828
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 25C / 77F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:14 | 15 kms | 25.54 km/hr
Age Group: 16/46
Overall: 528/828
Performance: Good
Times for transition included here
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: FLAT AS with two hotdog turns
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:15 | 04 kms | 05m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 30/46
Overall: 656/828
Performance: Below average
This is the fastest 4km I've done for a while....
Course: two out and back loops
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-11-16 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Race 2 Robina

2008-11-16 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1811136

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
Subject: RE: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Race 2 Robina

Hey great race Maddy. I'm with you on the mounts and dismounts...I'm not even going to go there for awhile. I'll dork it out running in my cleats. Don't care. I'd rather stay upright.

You did have some unusual weather conditions in QLD yesterday. You did pretty good under the circumstances.

2008-11-16 11:20 PM
in reply to: #1811136

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Race 2 Robina
Hey Maddy! Great race. I love your competitve spirit - picking them off like a lioness LOL! I think you did a GREAT run speed considering you were overheated. It sucks when the heat gets up, and when its humid as well you can't sweat properly to cool down. I'm glad you're OK. Great race for the conditions
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series - Race 2 Robina Rss Feed