1st Place Sports
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 373/1041
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 51/128
Pre-race routine:

Woke before my alarm. drank coffee. ate peanut butter on a raisin muffin. Met with friends to carpool to the race.
Event warmup:

Waited in line to pee.
Run
  • 1h 48m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I was dressed in long tights and a long sleeve running shirt. There was a good crowd at the start but me and K moved to near the front to avoid the walkers.

K talked about doing 9 min/miles for the first half then cranking it up later if she felt good. I just wanted to run what felt good without worring about someone elses pace. We were hovering around 8:15 for the first couple miles. K pulled to the side at the three mile water stop and said she would see me at the end. I told her to look for me at the beer.

From there on I just started focusing on ponytails and keeping my pace steady. I was averaging ~ 8:30's and felt pretty good.

I found myself trading leads with some guy down the road so I finally just pulled up beside him and ran with him. We hung together following ponytails until mile 10.

I had it in my mind to kick it up a notch on the last 5K so told Gabby I'd see him later. I didn't just go blasting off but I did try to push it more. I was trying to get to 8's or better but I didn't quite get there until the last mile.

The last mile...this is the sucky part of this course. There must be about 14 turns before you get to the last turn which is about 25 yards to the finish.

I kept pushing even though the corners were killing me. My HR was through the roof when I saw the finish line. I gave it everything I had and ran to the end.

Why do people stop right over the mats? I nearly knocked two guys over finishing.

I didn't have any big goals going into this race. I just did what I could do. I managed to knock off one second from last years time in this race.

Maybe not training is a good training plan. Probably not.
What would you do differently?:

train
Post race
Warm down:

Drank as many beers as I could get my hands on.

Last updated: 2008-11-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:48:22 | 13.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/128
Overall: 0/1041
Performance: Good
169 avg hr 199 max hr
Course: Flat mostly shaddy
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-11-28 8:10 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Subject: Outback Distance Classic

2008-11-28 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1829332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Outback Distance Classic

I still can't believe you can rip off a time like this with minimal training.  You me off. 

Good job!  

...and since I rode by during the race, I can confirm that there were a LOT of fine ponytails to chase!

2008-11-29 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1829332

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Subject: RE: Outback Distance Classic

I hope that not training thing works out for me in January too!  Nice race!

I don't have a ponytail...would you still follow me?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Outback Distance Classic Rss Feed