General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any morning Masters swim groups at or near Emory? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-01 8:59 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Any morning Masters swim groups at or near Emory?

It looks like I ***may*** get an offer this week to work at Emory doing something I would enjoy (fingers crossed on that one).  Of course, this means I would leave very early in the a.m. to avoid traffic.  Are there any MORNING masters swim groups at Emory or near Emory?  I'd really be thrilled if there was one AT emory - but I haven't found one in my search.

(If not, guess I could stop by Dynamo Chamblee on the way to work!)

Thanks for any info!

Andi

2008-12-01 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1832020

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Any morning Masters swim groups at or near Emory?

Found a link to the Emory masters swim group: http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Detail.cfm?PoolID=15585

I answered my own questions...

Andi

2008-12-01 10:18 AM

Regular
zxzxaz
I think Dynamo has one also which is off shallowford - one or 2 exits up from druid hills on 85N
2008-12-01 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1832221

User image

Alpharetta, GA

AsherDozier - 2008-12-01 11:18 AM I think Dynamo has one also which is off shallowford - one or 2 exits up from druid hills on 85N

Yep - that's the Chamblee location, which I would do - but it would be my second choice... mainly because the roads would get pretty backed up by the time I finished a swim workout!

Edited by Anditrigirl 2008-12-01 11:01 AM
2008-12-01 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

If you get any information from this master's swim team can you let me know. I would love to join.

Since I'm about 10 min from emory. I emailed what I THOUGHT was the master's swim team over a month ago with no response. I'm going to email these people too and hopefully get something.

2008-12-01 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

2008-12-01 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1832484

User image

Alpharetta, GA

Awesome latrina, thanks for the info!

If I get the job, I will definitely be swimming with the group.  You can say hello as you blow past my sorry, lumbering bootie!

Andi

2008-12-01 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1832484

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Decatur DeKalb YMCA shows a Masters Class on Mon/Thur/Fri from 6-7 am.  They are located at Clairmont and N.Decatur (about 1 mi. from Emory)

http://www.ymcaatlanta.org/uploadedFiles/PoolScheduleFall20082.pdf

2008-12-01 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

The pool at the Y in decatur is UBBER small. And they only dedicate 2 lanes to masters so if it's like 5 people you are screwed.

Only reason I haven't gone there. The pool isn't even 25m I think. It's small like apartment complex small.

2008-12-01 6:58 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
The Emory group is a smaller, but very close-knit group. Sunday workouts tend to be larger, as you get more drop-ins from other programs. I swam with the Emory group the first 3 years I lived in Atlanta and loved it. I have been at Dynamo in Chamblee for the last year prompted by the departure of the Emory coach, Jinger Gotschall, and by my search for more long course water. You'll enjoy the folks at Emory, and if you want something a bit larger and more tri-focused, Dynamo will be your best bet in the area (DISCOLOSURE: I am affiliated with Dynamo ). If you leave by 7:15, traffic isn't bad from Chamblee down Clairmont. You can also get into Dynamo early, if you have to get out early.

Good luck!

Matthew

2008-12-02 7:31 AM
in reply to: #1833311

User image

Alpharetta, GA

EnduRight - 2008-12-01 7:58 PM The Emory group is a smaller, but very close-knit group. Sunday workouts tend to be larger, as you get more drop-ins from other programs. I swam with the Emory group the first 3 years I lived in Atlanta and loved it. I have been at Dynamo in Chamblee for the last year prompted by the departure of the Emory coach, Jinger Gotschall, and by my search for more long course water. You'll enjoy the folks at Emory, and if you want something a bit larger and more tri-focused, Dynamo will be your best bet in the area (DISCOLOSURE: I am affiliated with Dynamo ). If you leave by 7:15, traffic isn't bad from Chamblee down Clairmont. You can also get into Dynamo early, if you have to get out early. Good luck! Matthew

I swam with both Dynamo and Swim Atlanta in the past (I'm not new, coming up on 10 years of tri's and still going - woohoo - all my friends stopped tri-ing long ago!)... I'm just new to the Emory area.

I like a smaller, close knit group actually, which is part of the reason I am not keen on Dynamo Chambleee but would go if it is the only option.  Unfortunately, I would have to be at work at 8:00 - and I need 45 minutes to get ready.  The timing doesn't really work combined with traffic that I would experience at that hour.  If needed, I would go to the evening masters group in that case!

QUESTION: What was the focus of the Emory Masters group (masters swim competition, purely fitness, etc?)  I'm not interested in hard core - I'm not that dedicated to swimming and my best times are way behind me.

Thanks a bunch!

Andi

2008-12-02 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1833926

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
Anditrigirl - 2008-12-02 8:31 AM

QUESTION: What was the focus of the Emory Masters group (masters swim competition, purely fitness, etc?)  I'm not interested in hard core - I'm not that dedicated to swimming and my best times are way behind me.

Thanks a bunch!

Andi

In simplest terms, Emory Masters is what you make of it. Most folks are there for fitness though there is a small number of individuals that compete. There's no pressure to compete. Everybody's nice and respectful. It's a nice, small group of people who are approachable. Given your needs, it sounds like they will be a nice fit.

Enjoy!
2008-12-02 8:09 AM
in reply to: #1833943

User image

Expert
Decatur
EnduRight - 2008-12-02 8:54 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Andi

In simplest terms, Emory Masters is what you make of it. Most folks are there for fitness though there is a small number of individuals that compete. There's no pressure to compete. Everybody's nice and respectful. It's a nice, small group of people who are approachable. Given your needs, it sounds like they will be a nice fit. Enjoy!

Ok. sounds like what I want too then. I just want some friends and something a little more structured. Otherwise I'm going to be bored to tears FOREVER. oh. and a good workout.

2008-12-02 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Decatur

"...and by my search for more long course water..."

What does this mean?

2008-12-02 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1832599

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Reno8 - 2008-12-01 2:35 PM

Decatur DeKalb YMCA shows a Masters Class on Mon/Thur/Fri from 6-7 am.  They are located at Clairmont and N.Decatur (about 1 mi. from Emory)

I swim in this pool and am getting done just as Masters is starting up.  The coach, Kiley, is awesome and knows her stuff.  This Masters group is small but good.  They pretty much use the entire pool and it is a 25 yard pool.  I have never seen it too crowded for Masters.

2008-12-02 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1833987

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Marvarnett - 2008-12-02 9:20 AM
Reno8 - 2008-12-01 2:35 PM

I swim in this pool and am getting done just as Masters is starting up.  The coach, Kiley, is awesome and knows her stuff.  This Masters group is small but good.  They pretty much use the entire pool and it is a 25 yard pool.  I have never seen it too crowded for Masters.

I thought it was.  I used to train there when I was going to Druid Hills HS...about 100 years ago. 

Steve

2008-12-02 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1833969

User image

Alpharetta, GA
latrina - 2008-12-02 9:09 AM
EnduRight - 2008-12-02 8:54 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Andi

In simplest terms, Emory Masters is what you make of it. Most folks are there for fitness though there is a small number of individuals that compete. There's no pressure to compete. Everybody's nice and respectful. It's a nice, small group of people who are approachable. Given your needs, it sounds like they will be a nice fit. Enjoy!

Ok. sounds like what I want too then. I just want some friends and something a little more structured. Otherwise I'm going to be bored to tears FOREVER. oh. and a good workout.

Thanks for the info!  What latrina said X2.

Andi

2008-12-02 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1833976

User image

Regular
Atlanta, GA
latrina - 2008-12-02 9:14 AM

"...and by my search for more long course water..."

What does this mean?

Dynamo offers more long course workouts than other programs in my area. I'm a big believer in specificity. If you can't swim open water all of the time, take the largest piece of water you can find!
2008-12-21 7:13 PM

I swim at the Sun morning practices at Emory but there is a group that swims there M-F. The Sunday group is very diverse so you shouldn't have any problems finding a lane that fits your needs.

You can email the coach, Blair, at [email protected] to get more information.

The workouts are in the indoor pool (25y) from Nov1-Apr). I believe they move outdoors to pool on the Clairmont pool in early April. Sunday workouts outdoors are 50m, but during the week they keep the pool short course.

Enjoy!

Heidi

2008-12-25 12:42 PM

User image

, Utah
I like Emory specifically because it isn't all triathletes.  Very diverse with people who swim for fitness, masters swim racing, and a few triathletes sprinkled in.  No attitudes ... just a good group to swim with and both pools are very nice.  There are 3 different regular coaches so you get a little coaching variety as well.  The group swims M-F 5:45-7:15AM and then Sunday at 8AM - Sunday in the outdoor pool is long course.  We're in the indoor pool Nov-1 - Mar 31, and outdoor pool (Clairmont campus by VA Hospital) Apr 1- Oct 31.  It is what you make it.  If you want a masters with 5+ people in a lane circle swimming this isn't it.  If you want more hands on coaching and flexibility in training this group is great.  For example, some people do a lot of IM stuff - I don't.  So the coach just changes the set up a bit to accommodate what I need.  Because the group is smaller the coaches can do more to help you with technique.  The coaches usually has a ~3000, ~4000, ~5000 yard workout so you can let they know the yardage you want to hit. There are people of similar speeds who will do the workouts together.  What I like is if I have an easier day on my schedule I just do my workout on slower intervals.  If I have a harder day I'll do the workout with others or push myself to hit a faster interval.  I'm sure this type of masters isn't for everyone but give it a try and see what you think.  I would recommend trying a few different days to experience the different coaches.  Monday is usually Bill, T-Th usually Blair, and Friday is Weathers.  I think Bill coaches Sunday as well but since I don't swim Sunday I'm not 100% on that.  I think everyone tends to think their masters group is the best (because it's what works for them and what they like) but I would recommend trying a few - maybe Emory and the YMCA at least - to see what fits your training style best. 
2008-12-27 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1872009

User image

Alpharetta, GA

little red - 2008-12-25 1:42 PM I like Emory specifically because it isn't all triathletes.  Very diverse with people who swim for fitness, masters swim racing, and a few triathletes sprinkled in.  No attitudes ... just a good group to swim with and both pools are very nice.  There are 3 different regular coaches so you get a little coaching variety as well.  The group swims M-F 5:45-7:15AM and then Sunday at 8AM - Sunday in the outdoor pool is long course.  We're in the indoor pool Nov-1 - Mar 31, and outdoor pool (Clairmont campus by VA Hospital) Apr 1- Oct 31.  It is what you make it.  If you want a masters with 5+ people in a lane circle swimming this isn't it.  If you want more hands on coaching and flexibility in training this group is great.  For example, some people do a lot of IM stuff - I don't.  So the coach just changes the set up a bit to accommodate what I need.  Because the group is smaller the coaches can do more to help you with technique.  The coaches usually has a ~3000, ~4000, ~5000 yard workout so you can let they know the yardage you want to hit. There are people of similar speeds who will do the workouts together.  What I like is if I have an easier day on my schedule I just do my workout on slower intervals.  If I have a harder day I'll do the workout with others or push myself to hit a faster interval.  I'm sure this type of masters isn't for everyone but give it a try and see what you think.  I would recommend trying a few different days to experience the different coaches.  Monday is usually Bill, T-Th usually Blair, and Friday is Weathers.  I think Bill coaches Sunday as well but since I don't swim Sunday I'm not 100% on that.  I think everyone tends to think their masters group is the best (because it's what works for them and what they like) but I would recommend trying a few - maybe Emory and the YMCA at least - to see what fits your training style best. 

Thanks for the info.  I plan to begin on 1/5 with this group M-TH. Can't swim on Fridays due to schedule constraints.  I am totally out of shape with swimming, so it will be good for me!  Unfortunately, I will need to leave the pool by 6:45 to get ready for work, but 3000 yards is good for now.  Plenty, actually!

See you at the pool!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any morning Masters swim groups at or near Emory? Rss Feed