D C Roadrunners
27F / -3C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 10m 36s
Overall Rank = 169/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Took quick shower, cup of coffee and 1/2 yogurt. Another coffee and bagel as I drove to my daughter's place which is across from the race itself.
Event warmup:

Warmup was pretty much sit in the car to last moment and warmup on the first mile.
Run
  • 2h 10m 36s
  • 13.12 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Being my first HM , heck my first running event, wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily the herd was smaller then most running events. My daughter choice to run my pace as she was concerned about completing the distance. Went a bit fast early to spread our self away from some of the others. Once clear we checked up and ran steady sub 10 m/m. The down hills hurt the broken toe dispite my efforts to protect it. After the water break at 2.5miles it throbbed the balance of the race. Lost some time at the turn around as my daughter needed to use the facilities. Got back in our rythum but noticed my HR was climbing but the pace was slowing. Normal drift I guess and we were in the more hilly sections. We started avg just over 10 m/m until the flat last three miles. Developed great pain in the left foot outside of my arch. I did take my attention away from my big toe. Forced my Becca to leave me at the 2 miles left as she still had plenty of run left. Ended up finishing a minute behind her much to my surprise. We finished up and found her BF Casey, he ran 1:54 his 1st HM too.
What would you do differently?:

Run faster so there would be more food at the end. Figure out why the outside of my foot hurt so much, still painful.
Post race
Warm down:

We found some cold hot chocolate and the last bagel. Stretched some but they were both getting cold so we drove back the few blocks and stretched in her house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight must get lighter, I was definately the heaviest one there.
Get / Stay healthy be more careful with my feet. Not run with a broken toe and nail missing on my big toe.
Continue the base building through the winter.

Event comments:

Being my first I have a hard time gauging good from bad. But thought water breaks at 2.5, 6.65 and 10.5 was too far apart. Not having food at the end was disappointing, really wanted a bagel and HOT chocolate.

Thanks to all my freinds who encouraged me over the past few days. Now to see how long the recovery will be?

Last updated: 2008-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:36 | 13.12 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Fastest lap mile 1 9:32, 2nd fastest mile 12 9:34
Course: Out and back down the scenic bike path. Bit narrow for over 200 runners but after the group spread out was very nice. Most of the course was hilly with only a couple offlat miles. Lots of traffic crossings but well staffed with volunteers. Several areas had roots and ice so you had to pay some attention.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-12-06 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Subject: Gar Williams BH Half Marathon

2008-12-07 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1841963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Gar Williams BH Half Marathon
Way to go Skip. Beat your goal in your 1st HM, not bad. Seems like this is a prelude to a HIM. Well done, especially in that cold weather. Tough conditions, good result.
2008-12-08 12:52 PM
in reply to: #1841963

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Gar Williams BH Half Marathon
Great work out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gar Williams BH Half Marathon Rss Feed