General Discussion Race Reports! » Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pueblo, Colorado
United States
Southern Colorado Runners
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4 got the car loaded. Had half a bowl of oatmeal a cup of coffee and woke Misty up. We made final packing arrangements and got the dog in the car and took off. Got a couple hashbrowns from MacD's along the way and a few swigs of redbull before the race.
Event warmup:

Ran back and forth to the car a few times, totaling maybe 3/4 mile.
Run
  • 1h 47m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I was on target for my 1:45ish finish until I had a breakdown in the last 2 miles. This was on par with my distance training since there was very little and 11 was the longest. That was exactly where I started to lose it in the race today. My legs just went to jello at the end there, and in hindsight it was predictable. I ate my gel around the 6 mile mark I believe, that went down fine with a small bit of water. A couple miles later I took a drink of gatorade. That was all I ate/drank during the race and seemed to work ok for this distance. Miles were 7:35,7:43,7:24(down the hill),8:03,8:02,8:07(gel/water),7:56,8:00,8:06,8:10,8:26(eroding),8:45(rocks falling),10:03(landslide/up the hill), :49
What would you do differently?:

Have more organized training with adequate long runs. I also took off a little too hot in my first few miles. I dont think the fast start was what did me in.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Misty and Tymber after the race and sat in the grass for a little bit. Changed into warm clothes and ate a few donuts. Walked around looking for the dog park for Tymber but decided it must be too far away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training and specifically distance training at pace

Event comments:

Basic no frills race, budget entry with budget food, aid station had gatorade and water only, post race food was donut halves, oranges, and bananas. This was my first trip to Pueblo. We didnt actually go into the town, wherever it may be, but it doesn't appear there is a whole lot there. The scenery was ok, the course followed a river so that was nice. Seems like the scenery would be better if there were leaves on the trees(different time of year). But all in all it was worth the trip down and even though I didnt hit my goal I had a good time. I'll use this as my first distance day in my training for the 24 Hrs. of Moab in March. PR'd here by 2 minutes so I guess that's nothing to complain about, but with only 2 stand alone half mary's on my resume its not surprising.

Last updated: 2008-11-18 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:07 | 13.1 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Miles were 7:35,7:43,7:24,8:03,8:02,8:07(gel/water),7:56,8:00,8:06,8:10,8:26(eroding),8:45(rocks falling),10:03(landslide), :49
Course: 2 loops around park, then out and back down a trail along the Arkansas River.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-12-06 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Collins, CO
Subject: Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon

2008-12-06 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1842043

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon

Good race! Those last couple miles can be hard, especially that hill right at the end. Sounds like maybe you could have used another gel about mile 9.

Too bad you didn't make it into town. Pueblo has a nice downtown area and riverwalk.

2008-12-07 1:48 PM
in reply to: #1842043

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon
Nice race!  Looks like the last couple miles things did get a little rough.  Not unusual for a 1/2 marathon...at least not for me.  Way to hang in there and finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pueblo's Rock Canyon Half Marathon Rss Feed