BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-12-23 11:38 AM
in reply to: #1858074

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - room for ONE more!
Can I join?

NAME: Kate_R

STORY: I'm in Glasgow in the UK and have been doing Tri's for just over a year I've done a few super sprint but am rubbish at running! I've been overweight for most of my life and use triathlons to give me something to focus on. I really need to get to goal by May as that's when I get measured for my wedding dress.

FAMILY STATUS: I work full time in business development so travel frequently - I find fitting in the training quite a hard thing. I'm engaged to Alan and we have a cat called Tripitz.

CURRENT TRAINING: At the moment I am try to do something most days, I'm focussing on my running over the winter as i really amy quite rubbish at it.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm hoping to do a couple of sprints this year and a half marathon at the end of the year if the running improves enough

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm following WW and have had some success in 2008 but it slacked off since starting a new job in August. I really need to get stuck in now to adopt a new mindset for eating.

I love Tri's and especially the spirit of these boards so hope I can join in with you and both inspire and be inspired!

2008-12-23 10:12 PM
in reply to: #1867109

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - room for THREE more!
sfpowers - 2008-12-23 12:23 AM

Hi, Magda -

I thiiiiiink  I've got the log so you can see it.  It's outrageously cold in New Jersey at this point.  Overdid with my knee last week between walking and hauling decorations around, so will be easy on the walking this week. 

My middle daughter is a vet also!  She's at the St. Louis Zoo -- wanted to be a vet from the time she was 12.  

Hi! I can see your logs! I've left you an inspire I see you've got a 5k run lined up on New Years Day, thats very brave, you'll need to stay off the champers the night before!!! I'm sorry to hear your knee is playing up, take it easy this week and don't push it, just do what feels comfortable.

I wanted to be a zoo vet at one time, I did a lot of prac at various zoos, but when I graduated I got a job in a small animal clinic and discovered I really loved it!

2008-12-23 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1868062

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

shinsplint - 2008-12-23 6:35 AM Name: Val Story: Hi, my name is Val. I am a 46y old Pediatric Cardiologist. I do not have much of an athletic background but ran cross country in school. I have had long standing knee problems that limit running. Triathlon (and good shoes) was the answer to most of my knee problems. My time is limited but I have enjoyed 3 years of triathlon training and racing (sprint tri, 5k 10k and 1/2 mary). My goals are for fitness and maintaining a healthy weight. I would, of course, like to improve my racing times. Aside from a busy clinical practice with unpredictable hours I have been married for 10y. I am active in training and showing dogs. This is a hobby I share with my aging parents. As you can see, I have a full life. My biggest problem is consistancy in training. My goals for 2009: Consistancy and focus. Pick 1 or 2 key races (raced too much last year) Given my lifestyle I need training plans that allow flexibility and are targeted for sprint distances. I would like to maintain running fitness to do one or two 1/2marathons next year. I find I "tri" better with with a stronger running base (long runs of 8-10mi). I have joined a running club for company and motivation. I have signed up for a spin class for triathletes for times when riding outside is not an option. A master swin is available at my gym. I have noticed that I need to build slowly or I am injury prone (age I guess). My last 1/2 mary was last month. I had a bad case of ITB syndome and limped home the last part of the race. I have been somewhat discouraged given the "bad" race. Never the less, the pain is gone and I am ready to start over. I would enjoy sharing my experience and questions of BT'ers of similar experience, age and time constraints.

Hi Val!

Welcome to the group! It sounds like you have a good fitness base and have a strong focus on your goals, and you have learnt what will work for you.

I can imagine you work really long hours! I do as well, I have needed to make myself become a morning person or else it just won't happen. I make the time by getting up at 5am most days. Saying that, I listen to my body, and if I'm super tired I'll give myself a day or two off training before getting back into it. Sometimes you just need to sleep!

Joining a running group is a really good idea, I think it will help you with your consistency and focus. I swim in a squad twice a week, and I find that if I consistently make those two sessions, the rest of my week falls into place. If I don't go, I kinda fall apart!

What kind of dogs do you show?

2008-12-23 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1868115

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
krystyna47 - 2008-12-23 6:56 AM

Hi Magda and all already in the group!

Could I be a part of your team?

Name:  Krystyna

Story:  I am 20 years old and started training for my first triathlon by accident just last March. I had surgery on a torn ACL and meniscus from a soccer injury and at first did swimming to strengthen my leg again, then biking, and then I returned to running and soccer. 6 months post surgery and I had run my first triathlon (Olympic distance). I live in Quebec, where the snow piles high in the winter time, so I am very much limited to swimming from November to March, but I am going to try my hardest to layer up and go running outdoors. Indoor running on treadmills or spin classes do not tempt me in the least! By next May-June, my plans are to complete the Muskoka triathlon, which is a longer than Olympic but shorter than half-ironman (I think it is 2km swim, 55km bike, 15km run).

Current Training:  It being winter, I swim 7-9 times a week, min 2000 metres each time. 1-2 of those times are masters swimming programs. Once spring hits, I bike 5 times a week and run 1 maybe 2 times a week (I can't do much more as the stress on my meniscus-free knee prevents me from doing so).

Weightloss:  I have no weight loss goals, as I have always been in good physical condition. I have 2 goals: completing longer and longer triathlon distances and improving my times, and improving my swimming strokes, biking speed and running speed and distance.

Hi Krystyna! Wow, you're a machine! Your first tri was an Olympic??? WOW!  It sounds like that knee isn't holding you back much at all And you swim 7-9 times per week??? Amazing! Chlorine must be your perfume

It sounds like you have some good, solid goals to aim for. Welcome to the team!

2008-12-23 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1869513

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - room for ONE more!

Kate_r - 2008-12-24 2:38 AM Can I join? NAME: Kate_R STORY: I'm in Glasgow in the UK and have been doing Tri's for just over a year I've done a few super sprint but am rubbish at running! I've been overweight for most of my life and use triathlons to give me something to focus on. I really need to get to goal by May as that's when I get measured for my wedding dress. FAMILY STATUS: I work full time in business development so travel frequently - I find fitting in the training quite a hard thing. I'm engaged to Alan and we have a cat called Tripitz. CURRENT TRAINING: At the moment I am try to do something most days, I'm focussing on my running over the winter as i really amy quite rubbish at it. THIS YEAR'S RACES: I'm hoping to do a couple of sprints this year and a half marathon at the end of the year if the running improves enough WEIGHTLOSS: I'm following WW and have had some success in 2008 but it slacked off since starting a new job in August. I really need to get stuck in now to adopt a new mindset for eating. I love Tri's and especially the spirit of these boards so hope I can join in with you and both inspire and be inspired!

Hi Kate! I am also a rubbish runner LOL! Keep at it and it gets better. I trained for a 1/2 Mary earlier this year using a training program from this website, I found it very useful. Unfortunately I didn't end up running the race because I went on an overseas holiday for 1 month and the training fell apart!!! However using the program I was able to run much further that I had ever run before and I really surprised myself. My family thought I was crazy

I understand how travel would get in the way of training & eating properly. Routine is so important to me to keep me on track. Can you use the treadmills in the hotels you stay at? I did a lot of my short 1/2 Mary training runs on treadmills but the long runs I did outside on weekends.

Weight Watchers is excellent, I lost a lot of weight with it myself, just be really careful when you start doing a lot of training, my periods stopped because I just wasn't eating enough for the amount of training I was doing.

How exciting you're getting married! Yay!

Welcome to the team

2008-12-24 2:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL
Thanks for the welcome.

I do use the treadmills where they have them and I run outside where I think it's safe. At least running means that I can keep up the training. I know what you mean about being organised though. I seem to go through chaotic periods where everything in my life clogs up work, home chores, diet and training. When the release happens it's great but I wish I could work a way round this.

I'm hoping to get to goal with weight watchers next year, I have a further 25 lbs to loose if I don't do too much damage over Christmas

I'd like to set some goals both for the year and the month so I can work towards them, I also need to look at the races that are coming up in the year.

Is everyone else setting goals?

2008-12-24 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Good Morning, I have two goals in the near term (Redding CA marathon in Jan and Wildflower LC triathlon in May). I have not figured out what race I am going to do this summer. Have you set up what race you want to do next year?
2008-12-24 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1870650

Thanks for letting me join the group.
I hate it when I get into a funk about training. I cannot seem to get away from work to get some exercise! I agree about learning to be a morning person. That is my first goal- get up and swim. Its actually a good way to start the day. Hard to do when its so cold outsdie but I need to be tough. I could use some mantra's to get my butt out of bed.

I have 4 dogs, both a Pembroke and Cardigan corgi, a Norwich terrier and a Shih Tzu.
We do regular obedience training, Rally and will get back into agility. The dog training helps keep my dogs in shape. Training with my parents helps to keep them active.

I look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas with our group. Val
2008-12-26 4:49 AM
in reply to: #1865594

Subject: RE: Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - OPEN

Hey Lady M hope you had a great Christmas Day, It was a belter for me and my gang! I’m just keeping things ticking over this week with a few runs, blasting off all the food and drink I’m consuming! I’ll chuck a couple of spin sessions and swims in too next week and I’m getting some swim coaching from the tri chaps I train with most Tuesday s. I picked up some great training material from the course I undertook recently when I qualified as a coach, I’m afraid 40 years of bad breastroking are taking their toll! I’ve a few races planned already next year, I’ll post these up shortly.

Have a crazy day folks x

2008-12-26 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi all,

I had a great Christmas day apart from the 4 hour car ride to my folks. My brother and his girlfriend have had a wii so I had a good 30 minutes of exercise on that! Other than that it was a very lazy day as was today but I plan on getting a run in tomorrow.
2008-12-26 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Happy Day After Christmas Everyone!!
Took a spin on the bike yesterday to try to keep my sanity and a few pounds from adding to my Clyde frame. Just got back from my normal AM runs. How about the rest of you?

2008-12-26 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Good morning team!!! Great to hear you've all had a great Christmas! I did too, I did the traditional Polish thing at my mum's on Christmas Eve and then I hsoted the proper "English" Christmas with a turkey, ham, Christmas Cake and Christmas pudding on Christmas Day. Luckily it wasn't too hot a day either (we're in summer here!). I had all my family over (16 people) and it was the first time I'd cooked all those things, I was really pleased that they all turned out. I'll post some photos in my logs later!

I didn't exercise for 4 days in a row (Tues, Weds, Thurs & Fri) due to Christmas preparations and also because we're renovating the house and we wanted to get as much done as possible before the family came on Christmas Day. On Christmas Day & Boxing Day I ate waaay to much as is usual for most people this time of the year I think! This morning I made myself get up at 5am and go for a cycle, I covered 42k (26 miles) and feel much much better now!!!!

Now I am off to work for the rest of the day.

Its great to hear that many of you are already back into the exercise! Keep up the good work. I will check on your logs later this weekend and see how you're all getting along! Keep up the chatting on here

Edited by eurydice79 2008-12-26 5:05 PM
2008-12-26 6:54 PM

Greeting fellow triathletes,
I was hoping to gain some advice of swim golf drills. I understand the goal of the drill but am not having much success in decreasing my stroke count. Is this due to poor balance or lack of strength?
How have any of you decreased your stroke count? Thanks!!!

Val
2008-12-28 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Our thread has been very quiet this week are we hunting rabbits? (If the younger of us do not get it think Elmer Fudd) Has everyone been able to do a at least a little maintenace fitness over the holidays?

2008-12-29 1:57 AM
in reply to: #1872966

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

shinsplint - 2008-12-27 9:54 AM Greeting fellow triathletes, I was hoping to gain some advice of swim golf drills. I understand the goal of the drill but am not having much success in decreasing my stroke count. Is this due to poor balance or lack of strength? How have any of you decreased your stroke count? Thanks!!! Val

Hi Val!

I too have a high stroke count, about 64 strokes to 50m. Everyone else in my (slow) lane has about 55-58. Really fast people have stroke counts below 50. I think the key is to practice reaching far forward and concentrate on pulling yourself through the water on the downstroke, the more power you can put into pulling yourself through the water, the further you'll travel per stroke, therefore reducing your stroke count. Does that make sense?

Swimming with a pull buoy will help you build upper body strength.

Saying that, I wouldn't get too caught up in numbers, even though my stroke count is much higher than everyone else in my lane, I still lead the lane most days. I think that there are other factors that contribute to speed.

I hope that helps! How has everything else been going?

Edited by eurydice79 2008-12-29 1:59 AM
2008-12-29 2:00 AM
in reply to: #1874278

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

jrcody - 2008-12-28 11:08 PM Our thread has been very quiet this week are we hunting rabbits? (If the younger of us do not get it think Elmer Fudd) Has everyone been able to do a at least a little maintenace fitness over the holidays?

Yes it certainly has been very quiet! I think the silly season has everyone pre-occupied. How is your training coming along?

2008-12-29 6:33 AM
in reply to: #1870769

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Kate_r - 2008-12-24 5:31 PM Thanks for the welcome. I do use the treadmills where they have them and I run outside where I think it's safe. At least running means that I can keep up the training. I know what you mean about being organised though. I seem to go through chaotic periods where everything in my life clogs up work, home chores, diet and training. When the release happens it's great but I wish I could work a way round this. I'm hoping to get to goal with weight watchers next year, I have a further 25 lbs to loose if I don't do too much damage over Christmas I'd like to set some goals both for the year and the month so I can work towards them, I also need to look at the races that are coming up in the year. Is everyone else setting goals?

Yes I try to set goals all the time! Weekly, monthly etc. I've done quite a few challenges on this website too (see the Challenge forum) and that has helped keep me accountable! At the moment my main goal is a HIM in May. My weekly goals are to meet my training plan demands!

2008-12-29 6:33 AM
in reply to: #1871001

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

jrcody - 2008-12-25 12:31 AM Good Morning, I have two goals in the near term (Redding CA marathon in Jan and Wildflower LC triathlon in May). I have not figured out what race I am going to do this summer. Have you set up what race you want to do next year?

Are you looking at doing a long race in summer?

2008-12-29 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1871441

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

shinsplint - 2008-12-25 5:23 AM Thanks for letting me join the group. I hate it when I get into a funk about training. I cannot seem to get away from work to get some exercise! I agree about learning to be a morning person. That is my first goal- get up and swim. Its actually a good way to start the day. Hard to do when its so cold outsdie but I need to be tough. I could use some mantra's to get my butt out of bed. I have 4 dogs, both a Pembroke and Cardigan corgi, a Norwich terrier and a Shih Tzu. We do regular obedience training, Rally and will get back into agility. The dog training helps keep my dogs in shape. Training with my parents helps to keep them active. I look forward to sharing thoughts and ideas with our group. Val

X 2 on work issues. I didn't get home until 8.30pm tonight. Long work hours really put a spanner in the works! I think the best you can do is try to get out of work on time when you can, and when you can't well so be it! Maybe have some work-out gear and a snack with you at work so you can hit the gym or pool after work???

It must be tough when its cold outside. Here we have the opposite problem - we're just setting up for a whole week of 38C (90F) so the only times when its possible to exercise is really early in the morning or really late at night!

2008-12-29 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1872583

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Kate_r - 2008-12-27 2:27 AM Hi all, I had a great Christmas day apart from the 4 hour car ride to my folks. My brother and his girlfriend have had a wii so I had a good 30 minutes of exercise on that! Other than that it was a very lazy day as was today but I plan on getting a run in tomorrow.

I like Wii exercise

2008-12-29 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1875416

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
eurydice79 - 2008-12-29 4:33 AM

jrcody - 2008-12-25 12:31 AM Good Morning, I have two goals in the near term (Redding CA marathon in Jan and Wildflower LC triathlon in May). I have not figured out what race I am going to do this summer. Have you set up what race you want to do next year?

Have not figured out what race I will do this sumer; but, I got convinced (with friends like mine I do not need enemies) to do the American River 50 miler the first week of April.

2008-12-29 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Well for goals I've just booked up for a 5k adventure run and am off to identify races for the summer now. I need to loose weight so I'm also going to set goals of at least 7lb a month and I need to up the running training to make sure that I'm doing the most I can. Goals for this week are to do at least 2 run and spin sessions and a try and get a swim as well. I'll also be doing core as much as I can.
2008-12-29 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1875551

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
jrcody - 2008-12-29 11:40 PM

Have not figured out what race I will do this sumer; but, I got convinced (with friends like mine I do not need enemies) to do the American River 50 miler the first week of April.

Is that a bike or a run?

2008-12-29 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1876383

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Kate_r - 2008-12-30 6:49 AM Well for goals I've just booked up for a 5k adventure run and am off to identify races for the summer now. I need to loose weight so I'm also going to set goals of at least 7lb a month and I need to up the running training to make sure that I'm doing the most I can. Goals for this week are to do at least 2 run and spin sessions and a try and get a swim as well. I'll also be doing core as much as I can.

Great goals! I need to do more core myself

Wow 7lb a month is a big weight loss! Good luck!

2008-12-29 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1876392

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
eurydice79 - 2008-12-29 1:52 PM

jrcody - 2008-12-29 11:40 PM

Is that a bike or a run?

It is a run; but, I would not call what I will do a run. I am going to try to average a 12:30.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eurydice79 (Magda's) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 15