Athlete Services LLC
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 28s
Overall Rank = 513/566
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Scurried about looking for the remainder of my relay team. I was doing the swim leg, so I wasn't too worried as I'd definitely get my swim in ;)

Went to the bathroom like 10 times.
Event warmup:

I went down to the water, tried to get used to the temp. It was cold, and that just made me wet and cold before the race started.
Swim
  • 12m 57s
  • 400 meters
  • 03m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was third of seventeen in the relay, seventh of sixty-six in my actual age group and seventy second of five hundress sixty six. I got past the waves rather quickly. This was the only time I was off course. I had a hard time getting my breathing down until I rounded the first buoy just because of the water temperature. Once I got used to the water, I started passing people like crazy, even people from the previous wave.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was my first ocean water swim of the year and the first since the Los Angeles Triathlon last September. I tried many times to get out to the ocean, but the weather (so much friggin rain!) just wouldn't permit it.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

When I got into the transition area, I had to look for a minute to try and find my relay team. A little confusion, but no big deal in the long run. It was clear that they were not expecting me so soon. When I did get to them, I just took off my timing chip and placed it around my buddy's ankle. He wasn't expecting me, so it took him a second to gather his bearings and head out.
What would you do differently?:

Get my buddies to show up a little earlier, maybe even carpool with them.
Bike
  • 41m 51s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the part of the relay that killed us. My buddy had just gotten a bike a couple months ago and wanted to give racing a go.He cam in thirteenth out of the seventeen relay teams. If he knocks off six minutes, we podium. But lets face it, he only really started training about a month ago, and it was his first race. He was bummed out, but he shouldn't have been. I think he'll have the tri-bug now, mission accomplished ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

No idea, I missed the transition. Must have gone smooth as they didn't talk about it.
Run
  • 19m 40s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Tony was our ringer. He's an Ironman and was definitely showing his experience. Only one other relay team was able to beat him. Six and half minute mile? Are you kidding me?

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having an open water swim before the race I feel was my limiter. Ed being new to riding was definitely our team's limiter. I think Tony did just fine.

Event comments:

They put on a good event. They didn't have the big smoothie blender that they did last year which kinda sucked. The family was looking forward to that.

I think we'll do much better in future relay's as Ed will only improve. It was certainly nice to see my improvement in such a short period of time.

Saw GoCorey there. The kid rocks. He beat my swim by a minute and a half! He has quite the motor. This guy is gonna be a player in the future.

Last updated: 2005-03-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:57 | 400 meters | 03m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 72/566
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: 50 meter run from the start line to the water, 100 yards out, 200 yards across, 100 yards back to shore, followed by a 300 yards run across sand to the transition area.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:51 | 12 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 401/566
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: The course was around the strawberry fields and through the harbor of Oxnard.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:40 | 03 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 96/566
Performance: Good
Course: 3 miles along the beach.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-03-12 8:39 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: Strawberry Fields Triathlon

2005-03-12 9:43 PM
in reply to: #129020

Regular
Norwalk, CA
Subject: RE: Strawberry Fields Triathlon
Good job on your race!! How do you like doing relays? I have never done one before and that sounds like an interesting idea. Were the waves big for your group as well?
2005-03-13 2:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Well done - great swim, it must be really rewarding to see such improvement!
Keep it up!
M
2005-03-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: #129046

Elite
Livingston, MT
GasMunky - 2005-03-12 6:43 PM

Good job on your race!! How do you like doing relays? I have never done one before and that sounds like an interesting idea. Were the waves big for your group as well?

It was fun. I didn't take the race seriously as I knew it was my buddy's first race. I really wanted to get an open water swim in before Ralph's so this fit the bill nicely.

I was in the third wave (yellow caps) and we had it a little easier than the preceeding wave (green caps). But the first wave (blue caps) had it the worst. I only had about three swells to get past while you guys had like 10. You guys definitely had it rough. It was wierd to see all you guys just standing there waiting for that set to finish.
2005-03-13 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Camarillo, California
hey at least you found your relay, haha, nice job, see you again
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Strawberry Fields Triathlon Rss Feed