General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to Gain Weight? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-12 6:58 PM

Subject: Need to Gain Weight?
Need your advise!  I've just begin training, ramped up my diet and trying to figure out if  weight gain is necessary.  I'm 26, 5' 11", and 128-130 pounds.  I'm eating 5-6 meals a day with a goal of 2800 calories.  I seem to average burning 400-500 a day working out.  Thoughts?

2009-01-12 7:43 PM
in reply to: #1903313

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Need to Gain Weight?
When I was in my early 20's I was a little of 6 feet tall and weighed around 155.  I lifted weights, ran and ate like a pig and gained 10 pounds of muscle over about 4 years.  Now 25 years later, I'm 185 (down from around 200) and trying to get back down to 175.  If you are in good health and slender, I wouldn't worry about it.  That being said, have you always been thin or is this something recent?  If its recent, you might want to check with a doctor.
2009-01-12 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
I don't think that weight will help with your triathlon speed.  The less weight to drag up hills on bike and runs the better.  I am no expert by any means, but I would be thankful I am thin and would work on building lean, slowtwitch muscle.
2009-01-13 5:01 AM
in reply to: #1903421

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

bmass - 2009-01-12 8:56 PM I don't think that weight will help with your triathlon speed.  The less weight to drag up hills on bike and runs the better.  I am no expert by any means, but I would be thankful I am thin and would work on building lean, slowtwitch muscle.

You make a good point.  I've noticed that my swim speed has tracked fairly well with my weight loss.  F=ma.

2009-01-13 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1903390

Thanks for the replies.  Being thin is not new, weight has been stagnent for about 9 years now.  Think I will just focus on some core training and take the thinness as a positive.

2009-01-13 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
yea you can do that, or just bump it up slightly and see how your body responds. bump it up with clean calories though, maybe you can add a few pounds of muscle, because honestly that sounds a little thin..even 7-10 pounds really would not hurt you at all. i mean 5'11 and 135ish is pretty darn thin

Edited by BeginnerMan 2009-01-13 2:31 PM

2009-01-13 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1905088

User image

New Haven, CT

Light people go faster than heavy people.  You only have to drag 135 uphill, I have to drag 225 uphill (6' 1".  Run, bike and swim, lift weights, etc. and increase your strength to weight ratio.  I may be stronger on an absolute basis but you will be realtively stronger and therefore faster tghan I can be.

That said, If you want to gain weight: ice cream, pound cake, bacon and beer will do it.

2009-01-14 11:44 PM

User image

Elite

TorontoTri - 2009-01-12 7:58 PM Need your advise! I've just begin training, ramped up my diet and trying to figure out if weight gain is necessary. I'm 26, 5' 11", and 128-130 pounds. I'm eating 5-6 meals a day with a goal of 2800 calories. I seem to average burning 400-500 a day working out. Thoughts?

Best advice I ever heard on the subject: "Eat lots, lift heavy."

But that should, of course, depend on your goals.

bts 

2009-01-16 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida

Being thin is one thing.  Being weak is something else altogether.  You can be heavy or light and be weak or be strong.  Also, having strong muscles will help in everday posture, as well as running gait, swimming technique, and injury prevention.  If you're trying to gain weight, make sure it is muscle.  Extra fat will not help you up hills, but extra muscle will.  Also, remember that strength training can do wonders for your strength without increasing overall mass.  Once you have your goals in mind, look for programs that can help you achieve those goals- not all will help you the same way.

Most people on the forums here who are looking to change their body type are thinking in terms of weight loss, not weight gain.  It's easy to understand from that point of view that less weight equals better performance, b/c it means less mass to drag up the hills.  But what if instead of dragging that extra mass up hills like a big rock, that extra muscle helped pull you up the hills?  I'd say that could lead to better performance as well.  The key, again, is that (if this is your goal) you MUST add lean muscle and not just eat and have the extra calories stored as fat.  Think about your goals, find out how you can achieve them, and then get it done!  Good luck!

2009-01-16 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1911323

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI
chunta - 2009-01-16 1:50 AM

Being thin is one thing.  Being weak is something else altogether.  You can be heavy or light and be weak or be strong.  Also, having strong muscles will help in everday posture, as well as running gait, swimming technique, and injury prevention.  If you're trying to gain weight, make sure it is muscle.  Extra fat will not help you up hills, but extra muscle will.  Also, remember that strength training can do wonders for your strength without increasing overall mass.  Once you have your goals in mind, look for programs that can help you achieve those goals- not all will help you the same way.

Most people on the forums here who are looking to change their body type are thinking in terms of weight loss, not weight gain.  It's easy to understand from that point of view that less weight equals better performance, b/c it means less mass to drag up the hills.  But what if instead of dragging that extra mass up hills like a big rock, that extra muscle helped pull you up the hills?  I'd say that could lead to better performance as well.  The key, again, is that (if this is your goal) you MUST add lean muscle and not just eat and have the extra calories stored as fat.  Think about your goals, find out how you can achieve them, and then get it done!  Good luck!

F350 Turbo Diesel vs Mini Cooper S...  That's what I am thinking of when I see your thread

2009-01-16 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1911323

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
chunta - 2009-01-16 12:50 AM

I agree 100% with this.

I was 6'  130lbs when I was 22.  I'm now 27 and 6'  155lbs.  I'm faster and stronger then I've ever been and I wear exactly the same size cloths.  Actually my waist is a little smaller.  I didn't try to gain weight, it just naturally happened over several years of mostly running and 1-2 days of strength training a week.  I didn't even do heavy lifting cause I don't want lots of bulk.  If you are like me you probably aren't going to be able to train significantly without gaining some weight in added muscle.

2009-01-16 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1912428

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
yorkee - 2009-01-16 1:32 PM

F350 Turbo Diesel vs Mini Cooper S...  That's what I am thinking of when I see your thread

LOL...Yeah, that sounds about right.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need to Gain Weight? Rss Feed