General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gold Coast, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
26C / 79F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 1s
Overall Rank = 564/1457
Age Group = Female 25-29
Age Group Rank = 25/34
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45am!!! dressed and in the car by 4:30 and ate my apples on the way. Signed in, got transition set up and had a grand total of TWO HOURS to eat breakfast, stretch, go to the loo, re-sunscreen etc...
Swim
  • 16m 19s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

The start was WEEDY as always and murky too. The hooter goes off and we're away. it was a bit of a white wash for the start caused by everyone clamouring for position,

After the secound buoy we were flying along the chanel straight as there was a little tidal pull or something. there were WAVES on the water but the were regular enough that I could feel them and read them as I swam.

After the next buoy and back into shore and I sorta came in on the diagonal. the tidal pulled me in the opposite direction to the finish and I seemed to be getting further away from the buoys.

After the last can before turning in, whatever pull was there was GONE and I gunned it for home. I wasn't in the main pack, but I wasn't last either. I was pretty happy with that...
What would you do differently?:

it's hard to say. I had a great swim. I sighted well but the pull in the water made coming in difficult. My neck and shoulder are still sore two days after and I'm guessing because of HOW i was sighting...
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

time included with bike
Slipped on the rocks as I was getting out the water and have added another BRUISE to my injured knee. (totally unrelated!) jogged into transition, ripped off my cap, goggles and pulled out my earplugs and saw my bike. (hard to miss it) Grabbed it and bolted for the mount line.

Mounted in my "mount a horse" way (right foot first and swing the left over) rather than RUN AND JUMP

nothing. Was a fast transition
Bike
  • 47m 44s
  • 20 kms
  • 25.14 km/hr
Comments:

Out and immeadiatly into headwind. put my shoes on and some woman overtakes me then slows down in front!!! ARGH!!! Gunned past her and left her for dead. Cow... trying to get me done for drafting... jeez!

I was methodically seeking Js on the course and trying to hunt them down.

I'd power into the headwinds and try to keep the momentum up on the tailwinds... Top speed was 43.5kph so I'm ALMOST back into top form along the flats.

A pack of 6 so obviously drafting passed me on the 2nd lap, they were BUSTED as the TO came roaring past on his moped to get up them. :)

A good ride - but dropped two gus on the FIRST lap. FORTUNETLY i'd loaded up my bento box with some Natural confectionary company jellies my fiance had given me that morning. HA HA HA. He must've known

Don't leave bento box open as you round a corner...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Skated the bike into transition and jogged in. SLIGHT adjustment to transition order today as I slipped on my kneeguard for the run. I'd swum and rode without it as it hinders me in that respect, but since the tape was LOOSE after the swim i thought I BETTER USE IT... Slipped it on before taking my helmet off and shoes on (one of those cool keeguards without adjustable strapping etc...)

grabbed cap and belt and gu and made a break for the timing mats...

Nothing. Despite the knee guard I did everything right.
Run
  • 31m 56s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 23s  min/km
Comments:

Started off great. At every drink station I took one drink for myself, then one for my knee guard to keep the knee cool. I'd caught up to Nat halfway through the first lap, and she dropped me on the bridge (uphill - I walked)

The Vision boys had all finished by the time we neared the end of the first lap. i was about 20m away from Nat at that stage.

On the second lap it was harder to keep the pace going. I saw out of the corner of my eye red shirt girl who was also a J and coming up fast... I knew I'd have a problem soon...

Caught up with nat again and she told me to slow down and take it easy. I walked up the bridge, and then together we made a break down the bridge. Red shirt girl sprinted too early. And Nat held me in check, we made a late surge and BEAT HER!!! YAY! nat and I crossed the line together! WOO! The vision crew were cheering us on as we crossed the line.

(by the way, I'm starting to realise I'm really freaking competative... It's SAD really! I LOVE IT!)

more physio?? Run was limited by the leg. not much I can do about it...
Post race
Warm down:

ICE!!! Ice, compression and elevation! stretching... Worked a treat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee. :)

Event comments:

This was a fun event, but Nat and I noted it's only the SERIOUS girls who seem to take part in this distance, there were a third less girls then there was at the 400m, 10km, 4km event held in November. Intersting statistic really.

A lot of fun, and a good tri to bring out that competative edge. No massive improvement over last year's time but a great effort none the less.

And yes my trisuit turned BROWN again.

Last updated: 2008-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:19 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/34
Overall: 457/1457
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:44 | 20 kms | 25.14 km/hr
Age Group: 19/34
Overall: 494/1457
RORT! bike computer says 22km!!!
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: This was a four lap course. Into the headwind on the first and last legs of each lap.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:56 | 05 kms | 06m 23s  min/km
Age Group: 27/34
Overall: 600/1457
Course: 2 x laps out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-01-19 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina

2009-01-20 12:45 AM
in reply to: #1917448

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina

Nice one Maddie! Thats a great time considering your knee is playing up! Keep up the good work and I hope your knee gets better soon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina Rss Feed