Sarasota YMCA
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 30s
Overall Rank = 1036/1258
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 38/40
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30AM, had some coffee and low-fat yogurt before heading off. Start was in the parking lot of the Van Wezel performing arts hall on the Sarasota bayfront. Got there about 6:30AM and picked up my chip. Met up with my team mates from our office team and chatted with some other friends.
Event warmup:

Just walked around with my sweatshirt on to keep warm. Threw my sweatshirt in the car with about 15 minutes to go.
Run
  • 48m 30s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Wanted to use this race to prep for the Sarasota Half Mary in three weeks which also uses the bridge as the turnaround point. Did a 3:1 run/walk at an easy pace - same as I plan to do for the half. Felt like I stayed well focused. Shortened my stride going up the bridge and relaxed without overstriding coming down. Slowed down a bit on mile three to chat with a guy who was in Sarasota on vacation from Illinois.
What would you do differently?:

Pretty much went according to plan, so I was pleased. If I wasn't running to prepare for the half, I might have tried to push a bit harder or use longer run/walk ratios.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and a hot dog,walked around the vendor tents and looked for my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to lose some more weight. I probably could do some tempo and speed training in addition to the LSD I do all the time, but not going to worry about it.

Event comments:

Fun, well-organized race with a beautiful course. Volunteers were great. A bit chilly before, but felt great as soon as you got warmed up. Great weather for running. Wore my gloves for the first two miles, then took them off. Felt good afterwards.

Last updated: 2009-01-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:30 | 04 miles | 12m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/40
Overall: 0/1258
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 11:13 Mile 2: 13:05 Mile 3: 13:08 Mile 4: 11:04 (miles 2&3 are over the bridge)
Course: Out and back: first mile relatively flat leading to the Ringling Bridge over Sarasota Bay, one mile over the bridge, then back. Beautiful view of the bay from the top of the bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes