General Discussion Race Reports! » Badger State Winter Games - Quadrathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Badger State Winter Games - Quadrathlon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wausau, Wisconsin
United States
-9F / -23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m
Overall Rank = 14/22
Age Group = 40 - 49
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Beagle with peanut butter for breakfast

Event warmup:

Set up transition in the snow and try to make sure I have enough clothes on.
Run
  • 2h 12m
  • 13.75 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went good. I wore rubbers with little spikes on my shoes, this helped some. 3.33 miles - 26:13
I was worried about biking on the snow covered road but didn't have any trouble. I tried putting on heavyer mittens for the bike but I couldn't get them on and I was taking too long so I gave up on that. 3.39 miles - 20:00, it was too hard to press the lap button to get my transition times.
The transition between the bike & snowshoe didn't go well, I was having trouble getting my leg gators on. I was going to give up and not wear them at all but my straps on the snowshoes were to up with them on. I got the one on but couldn't get the other one zipped up, so I left transition with only one on. Note to self, next time zip them up ahead of time and just pull them on. Also, remove bike helmet. I was about 1/2 mile into the snowshoe before I relized I had it on. So I took it off, but then I had to carry it the rest of the way because I couldn't get it back on again. The snowshoe was made up of rolling hills, but I did manage to run the whole thing. 3.4 miles - 40:00.
Had a little trouble getting my ski boots on, with the extra pair of socks. The skiing didn't go well, the cold weather had the snow conditions very slow. I am not the best skier and just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm. I must have used my arms too much in the snowshoeing because they didn't have mush left in them either. 3.6 miles - 46:00

What would you do differently?:

I could have saved a lot of time in transition.
I have to see if them have a ski wax made for the colder conditions, I should have been able to ski a lot faster then my snowshoe.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather conditons

Last updated: 2009-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:00 | 13.75 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 14/22
Performance: Average
This was more than just a run, it was a run, bike, snowshoe and ski
Course: The bike and run course was out and back on a hard packed snow covered road. The snowshoe and ski was on cross country ski trails. Each event was supposed to be 3 miles, but they turned out to be a little long.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-01-27 4:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: Badger State Winter Games - Quadrathlon

2009-01-28 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1932264

User image

Regular
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: Badger State Winter Games - Quadrathlon
Sorry things didn't go as well as you had hoped.  I really sounds like a fun event.  Good job sticking it out even though nothing seemed to be going your way.  Next time will be better.
2009-01-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1932264

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Badger State Winter Games - Quadrathlon Rss Feed