General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi Michigan folks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-06 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Subject: Hi Michigan folks

Ok, Hi.

I'm new.  I consider myself "not there yet".  I will blushingly admit that it took me a few minutes to figure out what HIM meant in one of the posts I read. 

Yeah.  I'm THAT guy. 

About six months ago, a neighbor tricked me into running a few miles a couple of days in a row... just for "fun".  A week later, I participated in my first 5k race.  Hated it, but wanted more. 

Boring story, short... I made two goals, run in the Indy mini, and since I've gone crazy... throw in a triathlon... for starters, at least.

Now, here's the funny part.  Let's pretend that I don't know what I'm doing.  At all.  I mean, I know how to swim and bike and run... but competitively speaking?  Hahaha!  Sorry.  I caught me off guard.  When I say swim, bike and run; I really mean "swim", "bike", and "run".  The last time I swam and cared about what a clock said was probably 7 years ago, and it wasn't very impressive.  I've NEVER raced on a bike before, but I've participated on some "long" rides and even a gimongous bike trip... but that was nearly 20 years ago.  I've already disclosed my running experience, and I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't wow-ing anybody.

Back to the point... how does the complete noob actually get going?  I've seen the training programs, and theoretically it SEEMS like it is doable.  I guess I'm wanting to figure out what, exactly I've gotten myself into.  Besides a bike and running stuff, what other necessities should I begin gathering?  Where do you guys (and gals) do your training?

Oh, and to butter you up a teeny bit... I started reading some of the threads, and you seem to be a group of people that I would very much like to be a part of  (just in case that helps).

Have a good day, and I will prepare my mind for the inevitable treasure-trove of incoming knowledge (hopefully), and wishing you all fit thoughts.

-Erik

2009-02-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1948797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mason
Subject: RE: Hi Michigan folks

Erik,

I was much in the same boat one year ago.  Last March my younger brother told me he was running a 5k.   It was two weeks away.  I'd never run more than a mile in my life, but couldn't let little bro get the best of me.  The next day I ran 3 miles and started training.  2 weeks later I ran my first race in just under 32 minutes.  I was hooked.  I ran several more 5k races, the Hawk Island Triathlon, and the Capital City River Run half marathon. This year I hope to do 4-5 short road races, 4-5 triathlons, 2 half marathons, and finish the year at the Detroit Free Press Marathon in October.  By the end of the year my 5k time was under 25 minutes and getting better every race.

I haven't gotten a chance to meet other BTers in person yet, but they are a great group to talk with.  Lots of information and good advice.  Hopefully I'll meet up with some of them soon.  

Christopher

2009-02-06 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI

Welcome Erik!

I am quite new to the sport too!  My coach also "tricked" me into running last year and it all begins.  I personally don't see any difference between "running" and running competitively, as well as cycling and swimming.  If you swim/bike/run regularly following the plan,  everything come naturally once you are in a race.  That said, this is from a beginner perspective.  Some with more experience here might see it differently.

As for equipments, it really depends on your goal. In my opinion, there are really no "necessary stuff" one should gather for the first tri other than the obvious: a bike that's safe, pair of running shoes and swimwear.  (a swimsuit would be nice if weather is cold.)  If you get bite by the tri bug, you might know what you need specifically afterward.  

There are also plenty of articles here that could help as well.   I started with reading them randomly when I join, it's very informative.  

Where you locate?  TriOK posted a run this Sat at Kensington.  Maybe you can join us!

2009-02-06 11:26 AM

User image

Firstly, you use the word "gimongous" so I like you already. Secondly, I'm replying to this thread on my blackberry so I can't offer huge amounts of advice right now, but just wanted to say welcome!Thirdly, you're more than welcome to join us on the weekends for our "long" workouts. I've found its the best motivator there is.Welcome and enjoy!
2009-02-06 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

Erik - welcome to the group!  Sounds like you'll fit in nicely as I definitely am slightly nuts and I think anyone who has some of the goals that we all have must be a little crazy   I'm fairly new to the group too, but can tell you that so far the experience has been great.  Don't be afraid to post any question you have, no matter how dumb you might think it is.  There's no one here that'll ridicule you (tease you and heckle you yes, but never ridicule!!) - everyone is incredibly supportive and helpful.

As I'm new too I can't really give much advice on gear.  I've seen lots of postings on people talking about bikes and seems like to start you can get away with just using whatever you have.  If you're looking to go nuts and get a tri-specific bike I can recommend a very good shop, BikeSport in Dearborn.  I'd posted a message earlier asking for recommendations and based on that they're the ones I went to see.  I'll warn you,  though, that these bikes ain't cheap.  What you might be able to do, though, is go there for a fitting, get the measurements and then try to find something used on Craigslist or eBay.  You'll get a lot of good advice on all this from the more experienced people on this site.

The other piece of equipment that seems to be highly recommended is a good heart rate monitor.  A few of the people I've run with have the Garmin 305 so I went on eBay a few weeks  ago and picked one up.  Its very good - has a built in GPS so it'll track your speed and distance too.

For training, Robyn mentioned coming out and training on the weekends - I ran with her and Kimm a few weeks back at Kensington and it was very fun - much better running with a group.  Keep an eye on the Michigan forum, seems like there's always at least 1-2 people who plan on meeting out at Kensington every weekend.

Good luck to you!

2009-02-06 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

Weekend group training - seems to be some smaller groups right now with some injuries, illness, travel, etc.  It'll pick up, especially in the spring.  Please join in.  Its open to all people, no speed or distance requirements.  I would suggest that you not blush easily.  These folks can talk.

Gear - Bike, running shoes, goggles.  That's the bare minimum.  The rest of the stuff can make training more comfortable, and racing a little faster, but if you want to complete a tri, that is really all you need.

Welcome - I forgot to put this part at the beginning. 

Where are you from?  I think I missed that part.

2009-02-06 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI

Note to self:  Update profile

Bear with me, I'm replying to multiple questions and whatnot in no particular order.

I live in Pinckney.  Or just north of Hell.  Or just outside Ann Arbor, depending on preference.  Originally from Kalamazoo (Portage, really, but nobody knows where Portage is).

Kensington, eh?  That's not too terribly far away.  I will try to make some of those sessions, but won't be able to attend tomorrow.  I appreciate the invite.  I'll also suggest an alternative meeting place (sometimes?) at Hudson Mills Metropark (since I'm only a few minutes away from it  .

My only real training concern is for swimming.  Not whether or not I will be able to swim a certain distance or time... but how many days I'll be able to train in the water per week.  Is the consensus that most people belong to a fitness club?  The community pool nearby only has open lap swim one day a week.  I *might* have to bribe them to let me swim during Aqua-Tots lessons, or something. 

I am intrigued by the so-called Ann Arbor Tri (in June).  I'm not sure I'll be fully prepared by then, but if I'm going to jump into the fire, I might as well JUMP INTO THE FIRE!  The limit is 650... good thing I'm WAY under THAT weight!

haha - side note... I just found out I'm a clydesdale.  My wife will get a kick out of that.  Is that just another way of saying that someone is "husky".  I did not choose to have dense bonestructure... that's just the way I am!      Anyone have any chips while I sulk?

And what's the deal with the silver or bronze member medals?  And the multi-colored stars?  I might need to acquire some of that bling on my account, too! Cool

Thanks for all the tips and welcomeness feelings strewn about!

Have fun tomorrow.  I wish I could make it.  

Another side note:  I need to think about posting shorter posts

2009-02-06 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

Ok Erik I lost you after the second paragraph cuz your posts are too dang long! just kidding! Well not really...ya, I guess a little.  Do you have a YMCA anywhere near you?  How about the Pickney high school?  The high school up here in Milford sells gym memberships but you have to work around the kid's schedule.  I decided to join the Y and have liked it so far.  I've been  trying to swim 3-4 times per week and even though I'm ex-Navy and spent years in the water, I found out my freestyle stroke sucked.  So I ended up getting a few coaching sessions which have helped out immensely.  Point is, don't be afraid to ask for help.

2009-02-06 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

I may buck the trend with this comment, but if you have a competitive swim background, and you can jump in the water a couple times a week in the summer (at a park or something) you'd probably be fine.  There are all kinds of folks that train the swim at a fraction of the others and still are happy with their results.  Besides, open water training is more fun. 

2009-02-06 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI

Welcome! x2 on the pool at Pinckney High School.  My husband is from Pinckney and his family still lives there.  I'm pretty sure we did a lap swim there many years ago and I remember it being reasonably priced.  And you're lucky enough to have the Poto, a rail trail, and Hudson Mills in your backyard, so no lack of amazing running venues!

2009-02-06 5:32 PM

User image

Correction, Matt.  Open water swimming is fun for YOU!  Just ask Ryan and I about the whales in Spring Mill Pond.

2009-02-06 6:43 PM

User image

Expert

Hi Erik!  I actually know where Portage is!  I'm a Western grad, so there you goLaughing.

I hope to see you out at Kensington some time!  Welcome to the madness/addiction!

Trish

2009-02-06 6:46 PM

Master

Hi Erik!

I'm pretty close to you...I live in South Lyon.  I travel a ton for work, but am home on the weekends and once it gets warmer, will be swimming and biking at Island Lake.

You'll get a ton of good advice from this group...the BT Michigan RAWK squad is great. 

As for gear...I got through my first year on a bike I found on Craigslist for $200 and a wetsuit I bought from someone here on BT for $60.  There are great deals all over the place if you are willing to look and be patient. 

Welcome to BT and I look forward to seeing you around!

2009-02-07 5:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Welcome Erik - Another option for swimming could be the Whitmore Lake pool. They have open swim at various times during the week at I think $3 per pop. When I have gone it has never been that busy.
2009-02-10 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1949290

User image

Master
Small Town
matt3liv - 2009-02-06 1:22 PM

Gear - Bike, running shoes, goggles.  That's the bare minimum.  The rest of the stuff can make training more comfortable, and racing a little faster, but if you want to complete a tri, that is really all you need.

Welcome to BT!

But I'd have to add to Matt and say that a swim suit of some fashion is required.

2009-02-11 5:24 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Hi. You look pretty today.

2009-02-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1956066

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI

I do?  Is it because of my Sparty shirt?

Wink

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hi Michigan folks Rss Feed