1C / 34F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 59s
Overall Rank = 59/
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special.

Got to the hall and picked up the timing "chip". They were trying a new system of timing, using disposable chips. Visited with a few folks.
Event warmup:

Walked to the start, chatted, visited, hopped about to stay warm.
Run
  • 1h 04m 59s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 30s  min/km
Comments:

Course map
Gorgeous day!!
Overdressed - especially on the way out. Should have worn a lighter jacket.
Footing was a little slippery in spots, but mostly good.

Started at the back, with Brian, Wayne and a few other tri guys. Waited for the start... The organizer was yakking over a megaphone, but I couldn't hear too much. Finally the count... 3, 2, 1...

Started a little fast - got caught up in the excitement of the race. Settled into an okay pace, and had my own space. Passed a few people, a few people passed me.

The worst part was the stretch after the train bridge to the Circle Drive bridge. I lost focus a little, and really felt like I was slowing down. But after crossing the bridge, I was back on my regular path, and so I enjoyed part of my regular route. After that, we were close to being done.

Just in the last km, as we hit the Broadway bridge, I could hear footsteps behind me. I didn't want to get caught at the finish, so I tried to pick up the pace. The footsteps kept getting closer. Come on legs! Still the footsteps. At the top of the bridge, a tight turn. She's right there: I hear her! Pick it up to go down to the finish. Another slippery turn. She's picking up the pace. The finish line is ahead... Oh! Got passed with just a meter or so to the line. But what a way to finish!
What would you do differently?:

Dress better.
Take an extra flask of water.
More run training! Especially on the other side of the river.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked along the path.
Met up with Crystal and Carly and walked back to the hall. Had my hot chocolate and a couple of snacks. A little more visiting, and then went home to get warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, slippery footing, mental lapse in the middle.

Event comments:

Good first effort at putting on this race. It was nice to see the cross-country athletes as marshals on the course offering encouragement.
Results

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:59 | 10 kms | 06m 30s  min/km
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 59/
Performance: Average
Elapsed AHR Comment 0:00:36 115 Gun to start line 0:07:29 155 1km marker 0:13:36 161 2km marker 0:19:51 160 3km marker 0:26:48 157 4km marker 0:32:25 154 5km marker 0:39:21 154 6km marker 0:46:52 153 7km marker 0:53:05 154 8km marker 0:59:57 154 9km marker 1:05:35 162 finish line
Course: Followed Meewasin trail. Started on east side under Broadway bridge, went north along path to Circle Drive, then across the foot bridge, to go south along the west side of the path to the Traffic Bridge, then around and up to go across the Broadway bridge, and back down to the start/finish line.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-02-08 4:13 PM

User image

Subject: Brainsport Brainfreeze
No official results posted yet. Will add link and update race stats when available.

Edited by amg 2009-02-08 4:20 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brainsport Brainfreeze Rss Feed