Austin, Texas
United States
The Austin Marathon Foundation, Inc.
Total Time = 2h 07m 30s
Overall Rank = 2721/6959
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, got dressed and ate my usual oatmeal. Grabbed a water and headed out to meet a friend who was going down with me to cheer everyone on.
Event warmup:

Walked from the car to the Radisson where I went inside to use the bathroom and to meet up with some Team in Training friends. About 6:30, I headed to the start line and lined myself up between the 4hr and 4:15 marathon pace groups. I'm still trying to break the 2hr mark for a 1/2 marathon and thought if I could stay between those two groups, I could be close. I knew it would be tough with the hills but wanted to give it a go.
Run
  • 2h 07m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

The race was VERY crowded in the beginning. Did some weaving in and out of people, but tried to maintain a decent pace from the beginning. Kept it around 9:30/mile. I haven't done training runs in that part of town in a while and forgot how hilly the course really was. At one point about mile 4 or 5 another runner jokingly asked "is this course all uphill?". Saw some friends who yelled for me and that perked me up for a bit. Then hit the hill at Veteran's going onto Lake Austin Blvd. Short but steep hill. Down Lake Austin to Enfield and through those rolling hills. Once again, at the top of a hill I had some friends cheering my name right before the half and full routes separated. That was perfect timing. Kept going on the half route. It was funny to hear some of the comments as we approached the BIG hill on Enfield. I much prefer running down that hill in the Cap 10K rather than running up the hill just before mile 12 of a half marathon, but that's the course. Once I was up that, I knew the worst was over with, but knew there was still a small hill up San Jacinto before turning toward the Capitol and down Congress. Felt great to turn that corner and see the signs that said "800 meters" and then "400 meters". Didn't have much left, but was able to kick it in just a bit and head down the final stretch toward the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

More hill training. I had been doing some hill repeats in the fall and then hurt my back. I never started hill repeats back again and I should have.
Post race
Warm down:

Went through the line to get my medal, water, food and shirt and then found my friend. We walked over to the Team in Training tent to see who was there, but no one was. Sat on the street in the sun and stretched while I ate my food. Then we headed back to the car and home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of hill training

Event comments:

I had originally thought about doing the full again (I've done it the past three years) but decided my training was not where it should have been so I signed up for the half. I was glad I did in the end. It's a tough half course that will challenge you, but it's a good course.

Last updated: 2009-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/6959
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]