Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: Coaching
I'm wondering...

Do you have a coach?

Have you had a coach?

Do/did you think it worth it?

Etc.

I am considering hiring a coach (if only to write me a plan) this spring/summer, and I'm looking for thoughts and recommendations.

I am an experienced runner, and I understand basic training principles. I have completed several tris, but nothing long distance. This year, I'm going to train for Square Lake Long Course and TCM. They're only 3 weeks apart, which seems a little tricky. Also, I love to be congratulated for working out .

What are your experiences?

2009-02-19 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1970003

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Coaching
I have had a couple coaches in the past - mainly for IM training and marathoning. Like you, I struggled with juggling marathon and HIM training.

Is it worth it? How do you define 'worth'? Faster? Best Value? Chronically injured, but not anymore now that you have a coach?

I used my coach to keep me from over/under training so I feel it's worth it. It's also nice to be able to pose training plan questions to a real person.

Would I get another coach? Probably when I go back to IM training or if I want to PR a marathon.

If you're strapped for cash, I wouldn't get a coach. There are plenty of folks on this site that have never had a coach and are healthy, fast and never injured. In reality, merging the two plans isn't all that difficult. if you find a HIM plan, and change the long runs to be those from your marahon plan, you'll be just dandy for Square Lake.

If you have the cash and have the need for something new, shop around and find a coach that suits your personality and goals and go for it!
2009-02-19 8:22 AM

Do you have a coach?     No

Have you had a coach?     No

Do/did you think it worth it?    No

I have done dozens of triathlons (sprint to IM) and dozens of road races (1 mile to marathon) over the past 10 years and I have never had a coach.  The first year that I did IM I spent months figuring out a training plan that would get me to where I needed to be and was realistic with what I could accomplish.  By the time race day came around reality looked nothing like my plan.  It's not that I didn't accomplish most of the distances that I had wanted to do, but my life was just not predictable enough to follow a plan.

That was 7 years ago and I haven't bothered to write one since.  I do have an idea in my mind of what I'll need to do in order to accomplish my goals, so I guess I do have a training plan, just nothing on paper.  My weeks are wide open and I sometimes end up getting workouts in when I least expected to and many times have to skip workouts when I counted on getting them in (both have happened this week).  I find this approach much more fun, much more family friendly, and way less work.  But this approach would never work if I hadn't educated myself and gone through the process of writing the plan in 2002. 

I'm not saying that a coach wouldn't be the best approach for someone else, just that it wasn't worth it for me.  Plus I've had fun learning as I go.

2009-02-20 8:13 AM

Regular
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Thanks for the thoughtful responses, guys.

I am totally with you, Joe, on needing flexibility. I do usually write myself plans, and then just deviate, as needed.

And yes, $$ is definitely a consideration...

I did purchase a book with lot of plans in it - I bet I can adapt those to suit my needs. I'll keep thinking on it.
2009-02-20 8:56 AM
in reply to: #1972407

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Yeah, really think it through. In my experience you can get plenty of encouragement and kudos and plan feedback from this site and save yourself some $.

It's tough to find a coach that fits your personality/goals/etc so if you do decide to go that route write down why you need their services. During your search, clear state your objectives to the potential coach and see if they're the right fit for both or you.

Good luck either way.

constance - 2009-02-20 8:13 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, guys.

I am totally with you, Joe, on needing flexibility. I do usually write myself plans, and then just deviate, as needed.

And yes, $$ is definitely a consideration...

I did purchase a book with lot of plans in it - I bet I can adapt those to suit my needs. I'll keep thinking on it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coaching Rss Feed