Other Resources My Cup of Joe » pee-wee basketball coaching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-19 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
Subject: pee-wee basketball coaching

So I'm NOT coaching - I don't have the time and can't commit.  But I did attend Kyle's last two practices and first game and wound up helping out.  Helping out A LOT!  In his last practice, the coach was at a huge loss for filling up the full hour.  I came up with some suicide drills (kids love to run), wall jumping to see how high they can touch the wall and duck-duck-goose dribbling.

These are 4-5 year-olds.  The most beginner of beginners.  Their attention span is all of 4-5 minutes per drill.  I think I just blew my entire wad of ideas.  I never played basketball in school (I was a champion wrestler which makes for a very pathetic hoops player!  Seriously - it's laughable watching me try and play!)

I plan to assist when I can and how I can.  Anyone have a website link or document you can e-mail me to help build basic skills and have fun for preschooler basketball?  Anyone here coach pee-wee hoops?  Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

2009-02-19 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1971447

User image

Expert
Barrington Area, IL
Subject: RE: pee-wee basketball coaching
I am coaching my son's 3rd grade team and it is always a handful corralling the kids.

Here is a GREAT site: http://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/coaching/teach-youth.html?tea...

Make sure to scroll down - it has sample practice plans and other drills. The download is 70 pages - All for free!

I played in HS and have coach the last 2 years and thought it would be easy - but the drills you remember as kid don't work with the young ones.

Good luck!
2009-02-19 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1971482

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Yeah - I saw that site and already requested the download link.  I hear ya!  These are 4-5 year-olds.  They can't even dribble yet.  Just getting them to run in the right direction to the right hoop is an accomplishment.  Even with 27" balls and the rim at 6-ft, most can't actually reach it with a shot.  I assume there will be a whole lot of "Sesame Street games" mixed in with coaching.  How is the question.

Hopefully Breakthrough Basketball has some good advice.  THANKS!

2009-02-19 4:51 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Teach them basics with fun (well, duhhhh, 1TT).

1). Depending on the number of kidlets in the group, have them spread out a good distance in a line by using the endline as a guide, keeping the kids several feet apart.  One ball is used.  All kids face the same way.  The first person starts with the ball and has to PIVOT to the kid behind him.  Control the ball with hands in proper position on the ball and have them do a two-hand chest pass to the next kid.  The pass should be with both hands and at chest heighth.  The kid MUST make sure the retrieving kid is ready and has eye contact.  Retrieving kid MUST keep eye on the pass and catch with both hands.  Continue to the end of the line, then the last kid to retrieve the pass should pivot away, then pivot back and start the process all over.  Do this a couple of times.  Then have them perform the same drill but have them perform a two-hand bounce pass.

2). There is NEVER enough time to practice right hand dribbling drills up and down, then left hand dribbling drills up and down, then cross-over.  ALL DRILLS TO BE DONE SLOWLY to work on technique and CONTROL.

3). Free throw competitions - 2 groups of equal number of kids (if possible).
  a). 1st group to 5 or 10 wins, the other groups do "suicide" runs.
  b). The kids vs. the parents.  The kids shoot first, each shoot once, and total number made is recorded.  The parents then shoot, and if the kids make more freethrows then the parents, the kids don't have to run (parents never run if they lose anyways).
  c). Freethrows - all kids are gathered around the freethrow area for rebounds, one kid shoots two freethrows, and the kids all clap after EVERY freethrow, whether made or not.  This is for team building.

4). Dribbling skill - Depending on how many kids there are, you can usually have a group of 10 to 12 fit inside the middle circle area at half-court, each with a ball.  The kids must dribble the ball and not pick up the ball.  All kids try to not the other kids' basketball away, without having their ball knocked away, out of the circle.  The last one left dribbling the ball without stepping out of the circle or getting the ball knocked away doesn't have to run.  This is a fun activity.

I used to help coach at the youth level for a few years.

See if these help, and good luck.  Some coaches like it when parents help, others won't.  See how it goes.

2009-02-19 7:30 PM

Veteran
Minnesota
Elementary PE Teacher here. A few games/ activites we do with kindergarteners.

1. Shoot out. Partner or groups of 3 with one ball on side line opposite basketball hoops. First partner dribbles to hoop, takes one shot, rebounds, dribbles back, makes bounce pass to partner. Partner takes turn doing the same keeping track of baskets group makes Go 3-4 minutes and check each groups score. Ask for feedback or give pointers. Try again and see if groups can beat their score.

2. Follow the pass. Make a triangle with 3 lines (one behind each other). Pass to the first person in line and run to the end of that line.

3. Stationary dribbling "dribble with your right hand 10 times 1.2.3.4...."dribble with you left hand 10 times 1.2.3.4..... "Pivot around on your right foot, pivot, pivot, pivot"

4. Banks shots. line up on the block. banks shot rebound, end of the line.

With their attention span keep things short and moving, and try to keep the groups as small as you can for reps.

I would suggest playing at least a few non-basketball games every practice - freeze tag, bridge tag, sharky sharky, pom-pom pullaway etc. My then 4 year old son played soccer last summer and the most popular part of practice was always these type games.
2009-02-20 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1971659

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC
1stTimeTri - 2009-02-19 5:51 PM

Teach them basics with fun (well, duhhhh, 1TT).

THANKS!  Some great ideas there!

2009-02-20 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1971885

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

TriJedi - 2009-02-19 8:30 PM Elementary PE Teacher here.

I would suggest playing at least a few non-basketball games every practice - freeze tag, bridge tag, sharky sharky, pom-pom pullaway etc. My then 4 year old son played soccer last summer and the most popular part of practice was always these type games.

Thanks for the help, but I'm new to this and don't know some of the games you described.  What is freeze tag, bridge tag, sharky sharky, pom-pom and pullaway?

2009-02-20 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I coach softball and I have used eteamz.active.com to get many ideas for drills.  I know they have a basketball tab, but I haven't looked through them.
2009-02-23 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1972398

Veteran
Minnesota
Bigfuzzydoug - 2009-02-20 8:10 AM

TriJedi - 2009-02-19 8:30 PM Elementary PE Teacher here.

Thanks for the help, but I'm new to this and don't know some of the games you described.  What is freeze tag, bridge tag, sharky sharky, pom-pom and pullaway?

Freeze tag -- 1/4 of the group is "it". When tagged, kids freeze by going down on one knee and extending a hand. Any kid who is not frozen may unfreeze them by tapping their hand.

Bridge tag -- same as freeze tag, except when tagged they make a "bridge" (push-up position with back arched up). unfreeze by crawling under the bridge. Kids may be safe if under a bridge.

Sharky Sharky. line up on base line with one or two kids in the middle to be "it" or the "sharks". On the "go" signal the kids try to run across the gym to the opposite baseline without being tagged. Those caught go in the middle and become sharks. Those not caught wait for the next go signal and try to make it across again.

Another suggestion might be to do some stations. In our PE class we start with a warm-up and exercises then do 4 stations for 2-3 minutes each: 1. Basketball shooting, 2. BBall passing, 3. BBall dribble, 4. jump rope. We then play a tag game. Takes about 40 minutes.
2009-02-25 8:09 AM

Veteran

Line up chairs or cones about 8 feet apart (shorten the distance as they get more skilled). Have the kids dribble around the chairs switching hands (crossover dribble) as they pass each chair. Kids need to learn with their heads up, NOT looking at the ball. One of the best way to do this is buy a bunch of cheap, cheap sunglasses. Pop out the lenses. Then take black tape and block out the lower half of the glasses so the kids can't see the ball as they dribble around the aforementioned chairs or cones. Your guys may be a little young, but worth a try and they get a kick out of wearing the funky shades.

One of the most overlooked skills with young kids is catching the ball. I tell my kids every time they drop the ball, it's like giving it to the other team. Play a type of hot potato game with you in the middle. Have them learn to catch the ball and throw it back to you almost in one motion. If they don't catch the ball or their pass back to you is errant, they're out of the game.

I agree with you about keeping their attention for an hour- it's not easy.
2009-02-25 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

I'm LOVING the input and ideas!  Thanks guys!!!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » pee-wee basketball coaching Rss Feed