General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Durable running shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-22 9:25 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
Subject: Durable running shoes
what type of shoes do you feel are the most durable? I want to get some new shoes but want some that will last a while... I understand that each shoe is different per each person and the fit is the most important part. just looking for what last the longest for others.

I ran through 2 pairs of Aisc's Gel Platinum and want some that will last a little longer then these. They felt great at the beginning but after the normal 250-300 they are starting to wear down pretty bad. the sole are still good but the cushioning is going out.

Edited by tri-dg 2009-02-22 9:26 PM

2009-02-23 2:27 AM
in reply to: #1976445

User image

Subject: RE: Durable running shoes
300-500 miles is the standard "Change your shoes" time no matter what brand you use.
I'm a Clyde and beat up shoes pretty bad so I change them every 3-4 months like clockwork or else I start getting shin splints again. That's after getting my stride checked and such.

Asics tend to last longer than any non-gel shoe I've every used and I've been running since about 1987 when I joined the Army and have tried almost every brand of shoe out there. I always come back to Ascis.

Looking at the Asics page, they don't even list the platinum shoe. Is that one of the Kohl's/Wal-Mart lines? Of course that's not going to hold up for any length of time. Get to a running store and stay out of generic sport's stores when you're buying running shoes.
2009-02-23 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The soles will allways last longer than the cuishoning. I wear the Saucony Hurricaines and If I don't run too much on concrete the soles look almost new even after 300 miles.

I retired a pair last year after 400+ miles because i was starting to get leg pains (a sure indication that it was time to change pairs) and my wife couldn't believe it. The soles were in good shape and the uppers were relatively clean.

When you find a pair that works buy 2 or more. They keep changing them even with the same name.

The also seem to last longer if you alternate 2 pairs. Maybe that's psycological but I find that I don't have isses as early when I alternate 2 pairs.

2009-02-23 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33823...

thats the link to the Asic gel platinum... I got them at dicks last year... Im a clide (205-210) and have not been able to get a pair to last with out leg pain for more then 3 -350 i keep using them though because the look fine... I will need to start changing them out more frequently though this year for sure!!!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Durable running shoes Rss Feed