Other Resources My Cup of Joe » parabolic skis vs. the old skinny/straight ski Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-02-25 2:23 PM

Veteran
Subject: parabolic skis vs. the old skinny/straight ski
I used to ski a lot, but when 3 kids came along maybe would ski 3x year. Kids are skiing now, so I'll be going a little more, and my question is about the old "straight" or "skinny" skis. I'd say that next year I'll probably still only ski 15x next year +/-. I'm not too aggressive, but will ski some single diamonds and blues, maybe an odd double diamond, almost never ski moguls.

So, I have a pair of the old-style, straight Volk skis, 205cm, that are in excellent shape-used probably less than 20x. I have rented the new parabolic skis, and though they're certainly easier, it's not it's some earth-shattering dramatic difference. My question is, what am I giving up by using my oldies, rather than investing in the newer skis??? The old skis are probably 10 years old, and I'm willing to make the investment even if it's just a safety issue, but the skis and bindings, like I said, are in very good condition. Just wondering what you ski peeps may know.

Thanks....

Edited by big joe 2009-02-25 2:38 PM

2009-02-25 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1981658

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: parabolic skis vs. the old skinny/straight ski

The newer technologies of the skis affect how they carve snow, turn, how the ski floats etc. 

Here is some info on choosing skis.  Scroll down to the video.  I find it very helpful. 

2009-02-25 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The newer skis are easier to ski on. additionally, because of the new shapes you will ski shorter skis, 25-30 cm shorter. Makes life easier. I have a soft spot for my 204 cm K2 extremes that have been everywhere on the mountain with me. But I have to admit, with the lame amount of skiing I do these days, the newer skis make it easier.

Or you can just stary snowboarding Laughing

2009-02-25 3:24 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

I finally sucked it up and laid out the dough for new skiis last year. I couldn't be happier.  I actually feel like my level of ability increased as that I am now able to work the bumps better (note that with shorter skiis you can turn better in the bumps) WARNING:  I also tore up my knee two weeks ago by this additional confidence I have in my abiltiy now. 

The best piece of advice I can give you is to demo for at least a month or two (4 to 6 times) in different conditions.  If you go to a good shop they will often give you a break on your new purchase for having demo'd from them as well.
You'll also find that the newer skiis have better edges, are softer under the binding, and will have different turning radius'. 

Rental skiis may be "better" than your old Vokl's, but they still won't feel the same as a demo will.  And don't get rid of those Vokl's, just think of it as now having a pair of rock skiis (it's like the benefit of having both a mtn bike and a road bike )

Not sure of the link previous poster put up (I should've checked it first)  but check out Ski Mag's buyers guide (I know one of the testers, they're truthful people and the testing is done blind - no graphics on the ski) for ideas on what you may want to demo.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » parabolic skis vs. the old skinny/straight ski Rss Feed