Big River Running Co.
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m
Overall Rank = 42/397
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 11/29
Pre-race routine:

Got to take my time getting started this morning because the race didn't start until 10AM. But I had my usual bowl of oatmeal, and snacked on a granola bar near the start of the race.
Event warmup:

It was windy, and bitter cold, so I jogged and did a few pickups for about a mile. I stretched very lightly, then just chatted with a couple friends at the start line.
Run
  • 1h 15m
  • 9.2 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Got going at a reasonable pace for the first .75mi as it was very flat and soft. Once the pack had separated a bit, we tackled the first hill. It was a doozy! After a couple miles of the rollercoaster, the trail widened and gave an opportunity to pass slower runners and cruise the flats.
There was always somebody nearby in the first half of the race. It was impossible to pass during some of the downhill stretches, so I stayed behind a couple guys for a while. When I saw an opening, I burst ahead and cleared all four of them just in time to lead the way into the aid station where I grabbed a cup of water.
After that, I ran the next couple miles without even seeing anybody out there. That was a little unnerving, but the trail was well-blazed, so I felt safe. The switchbacks were tight and numerous and the woods were fairly thick, so it was difficult to tell how far ahead other racers were.
Getting ready for the last couple miles, I took a gel a prepared for a solid finish. I was able to pass one guy, and close the gap on one more in the final 1.5mi. I thought we had more distance to cover because my Garmin only said 8.75mi (and the race was advertised as 10.1mi), so I was a little surprised to see the finish emerge so quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Only thing I could have done was train more. But I followed a training plan and stayed healthy so I'm happy right now.
I've fallen out of being near the top 10% of area runners, and it will just take consistency and quality miles to make improvements.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a little bit. Changing into warm, DRY clothes, was good enough for me!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Current fitness level. I maxed out my effort and left it all on the course.

Event comments:

I love the trails! The course was a great mix of features. The race shirt was quality. The cross-country style start was really fun. Post-race food and drink could be improved.
Overall, I'd do it again.

Last updated: 2009-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:15:00 | 9.2 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/29
Overall: 42/397
Performance: Good
Course: Loop through Castlewood State Park. Very hilly in the first 5 miles, but really levels out after that. The terrain is really tough. Not a race for those with weak ankles. You WILL get wet while crossing the creek.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes