Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-23 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2004998

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Early Open Water Swim

I went to Lake Phalen in St. Paul today and only lasted maybe 90 seconds of swimming, not because it was cold but for all of the algae.  That was just gross.  I got over my uneasiness with weeds (mostly) last summer, but I'm just not a fan of clouds of algae.  After I got out of the water, I pulled some strands of the green gunk out of my arm hair.

Water temperature was great.  Unless something changes in that lake, though, I'll be swimming elsewhere.

2009-05-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2004998

Expert
A few friends and I are going to try to hit Lake Minnetonka next weekend. Water temp is in the high 50's right now, perhaps 60 by now.

If we are half way organized about it, I'll post something here to let you all know where and when.
2009-06-02 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2164988

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
BikerGrrrl - 2009-05-20 11:42 PM

Good for you!  Sorry I lost track of this thread.  I'd be up for swimming this coming weekend at Nokomis.  Maybe Memorial day?  Saturday would also work.

Goalie - you out there?  I'd meet at Shady Oak too. Can you just go right through the gate until they officially open? You don't get sent to Minnetonka jail?

paddle2paddle - 2009-05-20 8:43 PM

I went to Nokomis this afternoon.  I figured with two days in the 90s that the watter wouldn't be too terribly cold.  The water was cool, but certainly not bad.  The wind was something else though.  White caps all over the place.  I can't say I'm used to getting smacked in the face with water.

Sorry, I have been off-line a lot lately doing daddy-day-care stuff (waaaay more fun than training). I saw some people swimming across Shady Oak lake on Saturday while taking Mattiaas for a stroller-ride, and talked to them a little. The water was ok per them, and the beach was closed. You can enter the water by the beach on the outside of the fence, but the fence is closed.

I usually just go do laps around the bouys once the beach opens though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Early Open Water Swim Rss Feed  

of 2