Set-up Inc
47F / 8C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m 47s
Overall Rank = 59/337
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/61
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6:15. Apricot Clif bar, cup of coffee. Then sipped on some juice and 1/4 bagel for the next hour or so. Check-in, etc., went smoothly.
Event warmup:

Short (1/2 mile) run, and 4-5 mile bike. Then I watched the elites swim, and 15 minutes before my swim time, I warmed up (250m) in the pool. I felt ready to go. I peed about 17 times from 7:30am to 9:00am! I think that was nervousness (why???), because I didn't really drink that much.
Swim
  • 10m 14s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim time is inflated because it includes a run to T1, but it was still pretty much that ugly. I should have been a minute faster. Ugh. I really didn't push hard enough, and my form was utter crap. I passed one person, then two people passed me (simultaneously), one going more or less over me (I don't blame him -- he had nowhere else to go). I was able to latch onto them and finish right behind them.
What would you do differently?:

Swim properly. Push harder. Focus on form.
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Could have been quicker getting into the shoes on the bike, but the flying mount went OK.

I should have waited to zip up the vest until I was going on the bike. Overall I felt pretty quick in T1 (tied for 28th overall), but the really fast guys were a full 20s faster than that....
Bike
  • 30m 57s
  • 13 miles
  • 25.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Was this REALLY 13 miles? I seriously doubt it. I think it was closer to 11, which would put me at around 21.5mph, which sounds closer to the truth. I know the course is fast, but I was definitely not expecting to be as quick as my time suggests. On the other hand, nobody passed me on the bike, and I flew past many people -- probably around 20 total.

I was pushing hard, but I definitely had more in the tank. Hmmm... Should have pushed harder?

My legs were numb from the cold by mile 5. Upper body was fine. Passing people was fine, with the exception of one guy who didn't seem to understand what "on your left" means. I'm guessing that if I ever become a decent swimmer, then I won't be passing so many people on the bike.

Ride faster? I could have pushed it harder for sure. I was surprised by the end of the course, and wasn't ready. See T2...
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

I was surprised by T2. I just couldn't believe that I was already at the end of the bike. I got one foot out, and not quite the other, before the dismount. When I dismounted, my left foot was still part way in the shoe. I managed to unclip it, but my bike just about flew out of my hand. I screwed up the brake catching it, so I've got some maintenance to do now.... I ended up running to the rack with one shoe on/one shoe off. It was very entertaining, I'm sure. Once in T2, I was a bit slow. For example, I should have grabbed the run belt and put it on while running out of T2, instead of putting it on standing at the bike rack.

Get my feet out of the shoes! Be more familiar with the bike course so I know when it is ending.
Run
  • 20m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out WAY too slow. First mile was 7:30-something. When I hit the first mile and looked at my watch, I realized that I was going too slowly, and picked it up, but it was too late by then... To top it off, at the end, I headed the wrong way and had to cut through the grass and some spectators to get back on course. This cost me about 10 seconds... Stupid. I'm also not totally convinced that this was a full 3.1 miles.

Pace better. Know the course!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. During the day, walked around quite a bit, in Beaufort and at the beach.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably #1 was not preparing by knowing the course better. #2 was just not pushing all-out. Since this was not really a significant race for me in the grand scheme of things, it was probably best not to kill myself on it. But I guess I just don't know that -- it was my first!

Event comments:

The race was well handled by the organizers, and there were lots of friendly people there. Running over roads that were torn up was a bit rough. The pool and bike course were fantastic.

Last updated: 2009-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:14 | 547 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/61
Overall: 136/337
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:57 | 13 miles | 25.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/61
Overall: 58/337
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat, fast. Most parts were protected from wind, but a few open spots had some noticeable wind.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:34 | 03.11 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/61
Overall: 64/337
Performance: Average
Course: Flat. Road was very rough in places.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?